• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lelantos ~ b. August 2015 ~ d. Jan 2016

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
Dear Lelantos,

I keep thinking about how I let you down. How I should have read the signs. How I should have done more. How I could have managed to save you.

Yesterday night, I had a stinking migraine, and made a horrendous misjudgment. You paid the ultimate price.

Your litter habits went completely awry late yesterday evening and you'd been such a good little boy in the short time you'd been with me. I should have urged the family to get you to a vet. I shouldn't have just cast it aside as being an overindulgment of a greedy little mini rex. I should have done more. But I was ill too.

I still am. The migraine hasn't cleared and now I am heartsick too.

You were a flash in the pan, you burned so brightly and now you are gone.

I should never have acquired you in the first place. You were the last of your litter in the petshop, your brother having been sold a week previously. How you had been left behind in the shop for so long is beyond me. You were a stunning wee boy and yet, somehow, you'd been passed over for the vast majority of your short life.

21st December, that was when I found you. You were hiding in an igloo, refusing to be seen. I asked to see you. The fact you were a mini rex buck had me intrigued. Then I saw your colouration; a perfect chocolate brown. I couldn't resist, not after the dream I'd had months ago.

The dream where my OH had been dragging me around a dog show to see puppies, and a chocolate rex bunny had been planted there by him, in a litter of chocolate labrador pups.

And somewhat prophetically, you were born around the time when dear Archimedes passed on.

I'd promised myself, no pet shop bunnies, I couldn't. But there were so many signs. So of course, when we saw you, my OH bought you. An early Christmas present, he said.

You were so shy and skittish on that first day home. That was where your name came from; to move unseen. You kept jumping in an old pie dish that had been used as a base for a plant, hiding behind a table. I supplied you with an igloo and you hid there for most of two days. On that first day, you managed to get behind the washing machine, of all places, when the door to the laundry cupboard got left open. It was such a palava getting you out of there and I held you so tightly once you were safe.

But after a couple of days, around the 23rd December, your true personality began to shine. You were cheeky and bold. You would approach almost anyone for fuss. You loved it when we stroked your nose, your big eyes fluttering shut every time it was touched. If there was any chance of food from someone, you'd approach them. If I was sitting on the floor, you'd come up to me and place your front paws on my leg. And your coat was softer than the softest velvet, like nothing else in this world. You were my stunning, chocolate mini rex and you were perfect in every way.

You were the greediest little thing too. I thought, at the rate you managed to steal food, you would become my perfect porcine mini rex. In the short time you were here, I have a mammoth list of foodstuffs you stole, including: carrot tops, Brussels sprouts, cabbage leaves, the skin of a potato, Iams cat food, cardboard, a good nibble on a wooden table that is older than I am. You once managed to scale some dizzy heights to knock down not one, but two, boxes of Fibafirst. You left a nibbled hole on the bag of Science Selective. You could persuade anyone to give you just that extra bit of veg or a Fibafirst stick.

Despite all the food you investigated, Fibafirst was by far your favourite. If there was any chance of you getting some, then you would inevitably make sure you could get it. You'd become putty in somebody's hand if Fibafirst was involved. You acted like it was heaven from the first mouthful.

You've left me far, far too soon. You weren't even with me for three weeks, and yet, you've broken me. You were such a special wee thing and I loved you and loved you hard. I still love you. And it hurts, the fact that I am having to write this so early this year, and for you, the newest arrival of all my buns.

In the short time you were here, I did my yearly re-read of Watership Down. You'll always be connected to that book now.

I'm glad you didn't have to die in a pet shop. I'm glad your last nineteen days were filled with love and joy. As it should have been for so much longer.

But special things are sometimes too special to last. I guess the Moon Rabbit, or Lord Frith, needed you for some more important task.

Even so. my heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today.

I'm sorry, Lelantos. I love you.

xxx

th_P1060241_zpsvd7hwdcr.jpg

th_20151227_161401_zpsgzemppb4.jpg

th_20151227_161411_zpsejwhbo3a.jpg

th_P1060255_zpstipyksnq.jpg

th_P1060263_zps6vny5yyl.jpg

th_P1060253_zpsoz1xb99z.jpg

th_DSCF4379_zpsbyplenkw.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry :cry::cry::cry:
It is a beautiful tribute to him. And I am sure he will always be with you in spirit. ((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))

Sleep well, Lelantos xxxxx

:( This is heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. He was obviously a well loved Bun. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Sleep tight Lelantos xxx

A beautiful tribute to an incredibly beautiful rabbit. I am so sorry you lost him :cry:

I'm so very sorry for your loss. He may have been with you for a short time, but his spirit will be with you forever. Binky free gorgeous little bun xxxxxx

I am pleased too he didn't pass in the pet shop - but knew such wonderful love. Somehow it seems worse when they haven't had a chance to live - but time means nothing to these wonderful fluffsters (just think how they always believe it's food time:lol:) - and the time he had with you was just a life of joy to him.

Binky free young lad - always loved and never forgotten xxx

Thank you all.

Even though he was only with me for nineteen days, it still hurts. It's a soul-crushing hurt and I don't know or understand how to get out of it. It's crazy just how quickly they can worm their way into your hearts and he managed it at an exceptional rate. My poor sweetheart. :(

Back