• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reducing living space?

Lola is fast approaching the grand age of 7, has arthritis in her back and back legs, dental disease and is blind. She's been in her room for 2 years now so is used to the layout.

Her room is furnished but has a cupboard that has a ledge that she jumps onto. I'm worried this is going to start creating issues with regards to her arthritis as she doesn't seem to be slowing down.

I have the option to change bedrooms so she could live in a 9ft by 7ft bedroom nothing to jump onto and a fairly small area in which to live in or continue allowing her to live in her 12ft by 10 ft bedroom. I'm not sure what is the better option. Should arthritic buns be encouraged to be active and jump or restricted?

I'm not really sure if I'm honest, but my instinct would say to leave her in the room she's currently in as she knows the layout. I would have thought that changing the surroundings for a bunny that is blind would mean they were more likely to keep bumping into things in the new surroundings. I also would have thought that if she was in pain from the arthritis then she wouldn't keep jumping up onto the ledge, suggesting that she currently isn't in too much pain, which is a good thing. However I'm certainly no expert and it is an educated guess so I would not go by what I have said and would wait for someone more experienced in the matter to come along.

Aw bless her. i've no experience of blind bunnies but I reckon I'd keep her in the room she knows & trust she knows her limitations

It might be best if she isn't expected to use ramps etc, or high sided litter trays, but IMO, muscles support bones, so any moving around helps maintain the muscle which supports the joints.

I'd maybe consider adding the option of a step half way, in case she want to split the jump into. Obviously she likes it up there though, so I don't think you need to stop her completely. If you find she stops using the ledge it might be a sign you need to then swap to a ramp.

Back