• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pulling out fur and eating it

kellycarla

Warren Scout
How can i stop Charlie from pulling out his fur, he's just started this in the last couple of days. He is roughly 5 months old now but we can't get him neutered - he been on antibiotics for pastuerella since 18 Nov and i am worried about him getting fur balls in his belly/intestines and bald spots that could end sore:cry:

Has Charlie got lots of hay to chew and is there anything you can think of in his environment which might be stressful for him, such as another animal such as a dog, or a lot of noise. Rabbits which eat plenty of hay don't tend to get furballs.

Are you sure he is a he? Female rabbits frequently pull out fur when they have phantom pregnancies.

The only reason for a male rabbit to pull fur would be pain or extreme stress.

How can i stop Charlie from pulling out his fur, he's just started this in the last couple of days. He is roughly 5 months old now but we can't get him neutered - he been on antibiotics for pastuerella since 18 Nov and i am worried about him getting fur balls in his belly/intestines and bald spots that could end sore:cry:

Where is he pulling the fur from?

Yes Charlie is definately male the vets check him everytime he goes there, he's got plenty of hay (although he would rather eat nuggets and veg more) and toys. Its funny you should that MightyMax, he seems to be pulling it from nearly everywhere and come to think of it, it started as soon as he came back from the vets which was on saturday morning and the counter top was full of cat or dog hairs - hope he hasn't caught anything:?

Yes Charlie is definately male the vets check him everytime he goes there, he's got plenty of hay (although he would rather eat nuggets and veg more) and toys. Its funny you should that MightyMax, he seems to be pulling it from nearly everywhere and come to think of it, it started as soon as he came back from the vets which was on saturday morning and the counter top was full of cat or dog hairs - hope he hasn't caught anything:?

I am surprised your vets don't disinfect the counter top between each animal! They should do.

Fleas and fur mites could cause random itching - watch for any dandruff like flakes (from the fur mites), or black dust (from fleas). It may not be anything to do with these things, but worth a thought ...

You could also get him some readigrass, which is delicious to bunnies and may help him get extra fibre in a more tasty way than hay. I free feed it and have had no problems. But start with a handful and take it from there.

Thanks MightyMax i will look out for fleas/fur mites and will also get some readigrass he only seems eat his meadow and timothy hay when he knows theres nothing else coming

Back