• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How the hell do I give them meds (syringe)?

Melon_Pip

Young Bun
This isn't working. All the advice doesn't help - I can't even wrap either of them securely in a towel, they know what I'm up to and wriggle, buck, twitch - it's impossible. Even with one person holding them still, they still flick their heads, twitch etc, can't get syringe in. Going to have to go to vets and get more meds at this rate as I doubt the last 3 days count. What the hell do I do? I can;t cope with this anymore.

I don't get on well with the towel method either. What works best for me is to tuck them very tightly under one arm with their head towards the other arm where I have the meds ready to go. They struggle, but you just have to be very firm - maybe more so than you might imagine. Mine are little buns - 1 and 1.5 kg. I've also done it on a 3 kg bun but he isn't a wriggler so I'm not sure whether it would work so well to restrain him or not.

I know the striggle i e been doing it with my 3.35kg bunny who actually whacks it out my hand with his paw and wiggles everywhere. I dont have a foolproof plan or a certain technique. I just put him inbetween my legs facing away from me and holdhis chest while leaning over. It takes forever but after a few goes i get there. And once you have it by the mouth push it in there, try and aim though the gap of the teeth at the side too. Its more about be quick enough to pump it in their mouth once you get it there for a second

I know the striggle i e been doing it with my 3.35kg bunny who actually whacks it out my hand with his paw and wiggles everywhere. I dont have a foolproof plan or a certain technique. I just put him inbetween my legs facing away from me and holdhis chest while leaning over. It takes forever but after a few goes i get there. And once you have it by the mouth push it in there, try and aim though the gap of the teeth at the side too. Its more about be quick enough to pump it in their mouth once you get it there for a second
This is also what I do and is very good advice :)

Can you get any help?
I'm having to syringe feed my frenchie at the moment and last night it took three of us to get it down him. One to hold the towel tight and get his ears out of the way, one to help hold his head still and one to syringe.

In my experience (of all of five days!) I've found the towel for bunny burrito has to be a very specific size - I don't know if trying different towels would help you.

I feel your pain! I'm having to medicate my frenchie 2 x daily and in the morning I don't have any help, so I have to hold him tucked in one arm and syringes in the other. He struggles but I am quite firm and usually it's over in 20 seconds thankfully.

Interestingly he doesn't even try and struggle when he is being held by my OH

This is pretty much what I do, on my knees, bunny between my legs so they can't reverse. Meds in one hand, other hand over the top of bunnys head so I can move their lips (also covers their eyes which helps with some buns i think) and get the meds in. I try to be as quick as possible, so ideally the meds are in the mouth before they have much of a chance to figure out whats happening. Longer it takes, the harder it gets.
This method does not work so well with my little 1kg bunny because he's so small and can still reverse when between my legs so I tend to grab him in a towel, just so there is something behind him when I put him between my legs I don't actually wrap him up in it.

I have a little ikea coffee table in their pen, sometimes just whisking them quickly onto that, sitting them at the edge of the table with their bum against me as long as I am quick works.

To syringe mine I have them on a kitchen counter and on a blanket for traction - so a good height for me and not hurting my back - and tuck them into one arm, so the crook of my arm is around their back end so they can't struggle backwards and the hand on that arm can then maneuver the head and (gently!) hold it still. I use my body lightly over the top of them so they are secure, then use the other hand to syringe it in the side of the mouth. It takes a bit of practice!

I have used a combination of the towel and kneeling methods, with varying degrees of success on one 2.25kg bunny... I could manage it on my own about as well as with help, as the OH was a bit too light-handed. Being firm and gentle are compatible, it's just hard to know how far to go. Best of luck!

I also have found the easiest and most successful way is to have the rabbit on the floor in between my legs and facing away. I find they are less stressed on the floor. I also find being wrapped in a towel stresses them. Good luck - it really isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.

I cant get the syringe anywhere near their mouths because they jerk their heads away, wriggle etc. I have tried all the things mentioned here already.

Just tried again, about half went in. This is no good. he was cryig and wriggling, even had to hold him on his back and still no good. I cant do this anymore.. i cant cae for these bunnies its too muh i need to diw

I had just come on here to ask exactly the same thing as Fidget went into stasis last night so it was off to the emergency vets. Had a follow up appointment this evening and have been given Meds which need to be given by syringe. This normally wouldn't be a problem as my partner is really good at holding her but he isn't going to be here Friday and Saturday so it will be down to just me to give Fidget her meds. Eeeeek!

I don't know what meds you're using but would it be possible to an alternative approach and mix the meds with food - maybe a small amount of some baby food?

Jack's Jane posted a link to a video to help someone else who was struggling to syringe feed, here's the link - good luck x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg

I'm really sorry you're struggling with the meds :( I know it's little consolation but I know exactly how you feel as I struggle with syringe feeding myself. I agree with Sarahbun, there are alternatives to the syringe method provided the bun is eating on their own.

May I ask which meds you are currently having to give? It's just that some are actually quite palatable for most buns (particularly metacam, septrin and zantac). Now if I have to give those I find I can bypass the syringe process altogether by just putting the measured dosage onto a small saucer (I have small saucers for espresso cups that are perfect for this but I'm sure fully washed jar lids would be just as good). I then just give it to the bun to lick off themselves. No need to disguise in food and I know they're getting the full dose.

Nasty tasting one's like Baytril usually do need to be disguised in food. If you do have that one it might be worth asking your vet if it's possible to swap it for septrin.

I do appreciate the value and importance of mastering syringe feeding but sometimes I feel that if the rabbit and owner keep getting too stressed by it, it might be better all round to use alternative, less stressful ways.

I've tried mashing it up with banana, putting it in their water - nothings working. have called vet they have agreed they will do it if i take them in everyday. Hopefully they can show me. Its so upsetting, my bunnies wont let me near them now, i cant stop crying

I am sorry you are feeling so upset about this and hope it will work out better taking them to the vets each day. I do think it is the case that many people struggle with syringing meds and as others have said it sometimes just depends on what medication it is and how it tastes. If my rabbits are anything to go by, when they are at the vets they will pretty much let the vet do anything to them without struggling :lol: I tell myself that they are more stressed at the vets and its only when they are home with me and more relaxed that they behave normally. I also find that my rabbits become more wary of me whenever I have had to medicate them or take them to the vets. In my experience this does not last very long and I think that your rabbits will soon feel they can trust you again.

Back