• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 female sisters mounting each other!!

jayne2710

Young Bun
I have two 5 month old sisters which I have had since they were 8 weeks old. They both get along fine and were both neutered about 3 weeks ago and have been ok since their op other than they keep mounting each other!! Is this normal? and will they grow out of it? I have read it is about them asserting dominance over each other - is this correct? Or is it more about them hitting rabbit puberty and them being hormonal??
Any advice, as always greatly appreciated :wave::wave::wave:

I have two 5 month old sisters which I have had since they were 8 weeks old. They both get along fine and were both neutered about 3 weeks ago and have been ok since their op other than they keep mounting each other!! Is this normal? and will they grow out of it? I have read it is about them asserting dominance over each other - is this correct? Or is it more about them hitting rabbit puberty and them being hormonal??
Any advice, as always greatly appreciated :wave::wave::wave:

It's likely to be dominance behaviour, and happens with neutered male/female partnerships too.

Does it happen at some particular times more than others, or just at random? Is it happening a lot more than it used to?

If this behaviour has just started post spay then neutering them has messed up their hierarchy. This hopefully will sort itself out as time goes by as Before neuter one of the girls would have been the dominant one but they are different now, so have to decide who is the top bun. A bit complicated!

It's pretty normal bunny behaviour - gender and neutering don't always matter. As long as they both accept it, there isn't really a problem. It's only when they fall out over one trying to dominate another that you may need to step in. They are both very young and recently neutered so give them time to settle. There may be times when it becomes more apparent (ie Spring fever).

Sounds pretty normal, they're probably just sorting out the hierarchy after their spays. They should sort it out themselves pretty soon, if not you may have to separate them and wait a little while before you try to bond them again. My girls are sisters too that got spayed together, and they managed to sort things out on their own so hopefully yours do too. Good luck!

Back