• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny bonding

Loulou8425

Warren Scout
Hi guys.

We have gotten ourselves a little man for our darling lily who is a 1 year old lion head lop mix. She's neutered and vaccinated and just the most precious smart little girl. Our new addition is George. He is currently unneutered and living separately to lily. He's booked in for his op on the 11th. I wondered if there was anything I could do in the meantime to begin the bonding process? Lily still has free run during the day and they have sniffed through the bars of the cages and likes to lie next to his cage although it's only been a few days. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.

The only 2 things I can advise you on is: make sure you have a neutral area where you can introduce your 2 bunnies as female rabbits can be very territorial and will not accept another rabbit on what they deem to be their space. The other point is do not let them get too close as this could work against any future bond. Personally, if it were me, I would keep them away from one another until around the end of January when your boy will be ready to meet his future wifebun.

i agree with Toni buns advice. Most male & female bondings are pretty straightforward :)I expect a month from today you'll be posting photos of them all cuddled up together, I certainly hope so

I really hope so. Sounds fair enough. I've heard so many different things on how to go about it so I'll take on board everything that's said. It was suggested that their cages be kept close together and items from each are swapped over. Does that usually work?

Last edited:
I really hope so. Sounds fair enough. I've heard so many different things on how to go about it so I'll take on board everything that's said. It was suggested that their cages be kept close together and items from each are swapped over. Does that usually work?

I've always just introduced my pairs in a neutral room with no prior meeting or prep & its always gone well..bonded within 24 hours. There are many different bonding styles though

Thank you 😀Lily is quite submissive with us and likes to Groom us a lot!!! lol. She's never really laid claim on anything in the house as such and has pretty much been everywhere apart from the bath 😕 That's the only neutral territory I have. I just want as much valuable information before I attempt anything to make it as easy on everyone as possible and if it means waiting 4 weeks then that's what I'll do.

I think it's best to just introduce them as it were because if you keep swapping cages etc your female could become anti-social with him, and then it might be difficult to bond them. A normal meeting would comprise of the male chasing the female, the female running away and this can last a couple of days before the female feels confident enough with the male around. Then she stops running away and they settle down with one another.

Not before he's nuetered right? He would just keep trying to mount otherwise? I'm coming across as completely dumb here 😢 I just want to do it right.

Loulou8425;671511[B said:
2]Not before he's nuetered right?[/B] He would just keep trying to mount otherwise? I'm coming across as completely dumb here �� I just want to do it right.

After he's neutered & had recovery time:thumb: There's nothing dumb about asking questions, we aren't born knowing how to bond rabbits I'd think about which room you'll bond them in when the time comes & block her access to it. In the interim it'll need a good neutralise / clean. Some people bond in a small space, others in a big space with lots of distractions & stuff to do. I'm in the latter camp.

So do I keep him confined to his cage in the meantime or can I let him out when she's not about or is that a bad idea?

Last edited:
It sounds like ultimately they'll have free range of everywhere which IMO is excellent (thats how I share my life with bunnies too). In the interim I'd be tempted to assign them their own rooms / space. He'll need exercise so I wouldn't confine him to a cage

Back