• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snorting?

xAmandax

New Kit
Hi!

I'm a new bunny owner, have 2 bunnies who i have had for just over 2 weeks now, they're both 18 months old and are rescue bunnies who previously lived outside.

I've been noticing that Coco (my female bun) has been making a sort of grunting/snorting noise when running around and playing, she doesn't make this noise when relaxing or in her pen, ive put my head close to her chest as well and she doesn't sound like she's wheezing or her chest is rattling, is this something I should be worried about? When should I become worried and take her to the vet??

Rabbits grunt when excited or territorial, I think. Hopefully an expert will be along later to tell you all about it.

My bridge bun Cleo used to grunt at me,usually when she wasn't getting her food fast enough! Or when I went to clean out her house.Girl buns can be more stroppy than boys sometimes,her husbun was totally laid back.

Our girlie bun was a grunter, as per the previous poster it was usually due to us not being quick enough with the food though not something she'd do while running about. One of our boys is a buzzer, which he does while he's running about playing. Its quieter than grunting, a bit like a quiet bee. 'bzz bzz bzz bzz'. He doesn't make this noise when he's relaxing, just when he's running about. I think its an excited noise, he is neutered but apparently still gets excited about running about!

This is buzzing (our boys buzzing is too quiet to catch on camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UoXlQwN2jU
This is our girlie grunting because I disturbed her attempts to dig to Australia via her bed https://youtu.be/v3nT01CxKjs?t=2m2s

My Zucc makes little grunting noises when he's happy he's about to get fed! He also grunts in a slightly more aggressive territorial way if I dare to touch the food after I've given it him too :lol:

Back