• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Trimmer

Hedgender

New Kit
Hi all

Looking for a suitable trimmer/clipper for Rabbit fur .......... any recommends would be appreciated

Regards John

Last edited:
Hi all

Looking for a suitable trimmer/clipper for Rabbit fur .......... any recommends would be appreciated

Regards John

Hi John

I would ask your vet what he/she would recommend. They know what sort of fur your rabbit has, and in the past, my vet has bought stuff out of the catalogue for me. I get a decent item, recommended, and at a good price that way :)

That's a brilliant suggestion, Max - I might try that too! I have two lionheads, but the long fur extends right along their bodies - I have never seen anything like it! They are like two mop heads running across the floor 😂

That's a brilliant suggestion, Max - I might try that too! I have two lionheads, but the long fur extends right along their bodies - I have never seen anything like it! They are like two mop heads running across the floor 😂

:shock: Quite a job for you then, I would think!

I got stethoscope, otoscope and clippers .. very useful ..

Hi
Yes I think an electric trimmer would be best........hopefully a quiet one

We have four Lop eared dwarfs the coat is pretty fine as you know......the problem is 2 of them get pretty messy bottoms so was hoping to trim them to keep them clean

Before you ask its not a diet thing we have tried everything........2 of them are absolutely fine and 2 are I'm afraid quite messy

Hi

We have four Lop eared dwarfs the coat is pretty fine as you know......the problem is 2 of them get pretty messy bottoms so was hoping to trim them to keep them clean

Before you ask its not a diet thing we have tried everything........2 of them are absolutely fine and 2 are I'm afraid quite messy

Have they both been seen by a Vet ? As well as dietary issues there are other things that can cause a Rabbit to have a mucky bum- eg Dental problems (a relatively common problem in Lops)

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286474.asp

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/sticky_bottom.htm

Re the clippers, roughly what price range are you looking at ? It can vary widely from about £30 to over £250 !

Hi

I absolutely understand about the mucky bum thing! I have known it in rabbits and it can be nothing whatsoever to do with arthritis, dental issues, or being too fat :D

Sometimes it's an issue, once checked out with the vet, that has to be managed and not rectified, as you are doing buying some clippers.

Good luck!

Hi again

Both rabbits with the mucky bottoms have been looked at .......no probs apparently just mucky !

As for the clippers/trimmer would prefer not to spend too much ??

Hi again

Both rabbits with the mucky bottoms have been looked at .......no probs apparently just mucky !

As for the clippers/trimmer would prefer not to spend too much ??

Just trying to manage the problem as MightyMax has suggested ......its just one of those things I'm afraid

Back