• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 4 ... again (Update Pics Added)

Kosu

Warren Scout
Back in October i lost 2 rabbits, Salt (F) and Pepper (M), both 9+ years old. Pepper was in a quad and Salt was with Stig (M).

Stig has been on his own since October as i needed plenty of time to try and bond him with the rest (Zodiac - male, Phoenix and Alaska - both female). So as i have until the 4th of January off work guess what i started doing today!

At the moment they are in a crate in my bedroom and will remain so for a good few days depending how it all goes. But so far it all looks positive. They have been together for a couple of hours now, all were busy foraging in the hay for food i have scattered (and keep scattering). Stig is understandably nervous but the others are ignoring him entirely . He started by lunging occasionally if their heads got too close but in the last hour he just lowers himself slightly but doesn't lunge as much. When he gets a bit more courage and starts to hop around a bit will be more of a test.

I am very impressed with the other 3 they don't appear to care another rabbit is in their midst. Zodiac as another male is so calm, he hasn't reacted to him at all. The girls i have bonded with different rabbits a fair few times. They have always been fantastic and as they are both bigger than the males they work as great buffers.

Obviously its not 100% yet but keep fingers and paws crossed! If this doesn't go well i will have to find Stig another home. :(

Last edited:
How exciting..I do like a bonding thread. I hope it works out for them all - esp Stig. Regular updates (& photos?) please

Zodiac has just flopped down next to Stig (butt to face). Stig sniffed him but that was it. He's still visibly nervous though. Im hoping to use that to my advantage as he's a bit of a bully when he's just in a pair.

They are determined to love you Stig, play nice.

Stig is the Dutch, Zodiac is the lionhead, Alaska is the white lop, and Phoenix is the Harlequin lop.

Zodiac flopped on him which startled him a bit, he nipped at his shoulder but Zodiac didn't budge. You can see how tense he is.

Still nervous

The others cant care less

Alaska sitting on his head

Im going to put Stig in a crate on his own soon while i feed the rest of my animals and have some dins myself. I want to remove him from that corner anyway so he doesn't make it a territory. He will go back in when i can give my full attention again.

About 8pm last night the humping started between the boys. Stig tried to hump Zodiac's head a lot, which isn't great as Zodiac was trying to nip his underside and Stig is a fur puller. However it didnt lead to fighting and it has only happened a few times, the rest of the evening they have been lying next to each other and grooming each others ears.

The girls have stayed cuddled up together and giving each other kisses.

After i turned the lights out, Phoenix decided the paper needed tearing up but after she was done they all settled down and i didnt hear a peep all night.

This morning i have cleaned them out (less than 24hours in and the house stinks!) and scattered some veg and pellets in the hay to forage. They are all hopping about and taking food from each others mouths.

Very early days but its all looking positive!

They are gorgeous buns, hope bonding continues to go well. I would love to have a group of 3 or 4 but the bonding and committing to the extra cost is holding me back, although it's hard trying to resist getting more rabbits once you've got some :lol:

They are gorgeous buns, hope bonding continues to go well. I would love to have a group of 3 or 4 but the bonding and committing to the extra cost is holding me back, although it's hard trying to resist getting more rabbits once you've got some :lol:

I know what you mean, they are a big commitment, i had 6 not so long ago. This is why my options were to bond Stig or rehome him. I have had rabbits for years and i never want one to be alone but i need to reduce numbers at the moment. Life is getting in the way.

How are the little group this morning?

They have been so good (post #7). This afternoon they are all lying down sleeping. The boys are lying next to each other and the girls are next to each other. I usually don't see this as they are in the shed outside and im the food bringer. Its very cute. I would like to get a picture but im sure as soon as i move they will all spring to life.

They have been so good (post #7). This afternoon they are all lying down sleeping. The boys are lying next to each other and the girls are next to each other. I usually don't see this as they are in the shed outside and im the food bringer. Its very cute. I would like to get a picture but im sure as soon as i move they will all spring to life.

Oh wow, such good bunnies. i'm pleased its still going well

Know just what you mean about them springing to life when you move!!! Glad things are going so well.

Still going well. Stig is much more relaxed. The boys are occasionally chasing each others bums and nipping but this has only happened 2 or 3 times today. Right now they are squished together in a pile. There has been a lot of grooming and scent marking between them today too. I will probably keep them in the crate until the new year as i want the chasing to very minimal. I still need to clean the shed and make that a neutral territory. The shed will also be sectioned off and the size slowly increased over the weeks until they have all of it again.

Just some pictures

Escape

Food time!

Bedtime.

There has been no chasing or nipping for over 24hours now. They are going to be moved into the shed on the weekend.

Yey. Hope the move goes well. If its not too late I would suggest moving litter trays in dirty so that they dont have to reclaim them once they get into their new space. You may have already done that or not had trays to move!

Back