• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mature male and baby doe

So after months of preparation me and my partner took the plunge and got a second bunny as a friend for my neutered male. At first interaction everything was fab, seemed indifferent to each other and even cuddled up but there was no grooming. Fast toward 24 hours and my male has started mounting, where at first this was reasonably accepted by bella, it has now become a bit of a cat and mouse game where he will mount and bite and she will run away, stay still and he re approaches her. This bonding session lasted 3 hours and for at least 2 the above happened constantly, on a loop. I've separated them both as I felt it could be stressing out bella at just 8 weeks old but am wondering when if ever she will submit to grooming? She was happy with mounting but just won't groom when he asks! I wonder whether she knows how to behave? TIA

i think it's recommended to wait until both rabbits are neutered before bonding, but hopefully someone else will know more :)

welcome to the forum :)

At only 8 weeks old I very much doubt she does know how to behave in a relationship with a totally unrelated rabbit. She will have only just left her Mother and siblings and is now in the big bad world of strangers. She is now being chased and mounted by a grown up rabbit and she must be feeling very lost and frightened.

You really need to give her more time to settle into her new home and get to know her new family. Also, she has quite a bit of growing to do, and she needs to develop free from stress, otherwise she could become ill. In another month's time she will be more ready to interact with your male bunny.

Back