• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We went to a hamster show!

Hele

Warren Veteran
And came home with a new little friend :love:

All my recent hams have been rescues and all have been very wary of humans and very hand shy aaannnndddd in turn I had lost my confidence with them, I really needed a friendly little chap that was already happy to be handled who could help me build back up to not being scared of such a tiny little thing!

It was my birthday on Friday and my husband offered to buy me a hammy, I was researching breeders on the northern hamster club website and spotted that there was a show on the Sat less than half an hour from home... :)

So meet McCoy! He is almost 7 weeks old now and is a black long haired Syrian :love: he has a little white chest and the white trails down his front legs, a bit like the otter markings on a bun! He is a real sweetie and amazingly confident for a little baby, brilliant for me I'm already much much happier handling him!

20151215_204208.jpg

20151215_204128.jpg

20151213_172309.jpg

Sorry if the pics are huge! I don't know how to resize on the photobucket app!

Thank you he is rather stunning!

I also met his mum (named Dana Scully :lol:) and whilst I did not meet the man who bred him since he was judging the show hams the lady who sold him to me was the lady who bred his mum!

I was amazed at the hamsters there, they were HUGE :shock: I mean bigger than adolescent guinea pig huge!!! Apparently all my previous hams must have been originally pet shop stock... And hams from rodent farms are stunted or something and don't grow as big as they should :( as McCoy is a boy he won't grow as big as some we saw but still at 7ish weeks he is still clearly a baby and is almost the same size as my last Syrian was full grown!

He's beautiful.
My hammy is a show bred too and its so easy to see the difference in their personality. They seem to be so much more confident in themselves and they don't seem to chew/mess outside of their cages until old age kicks in. Its extra easy to train them to do recall as well! (Same way as you would for a dog - lots of extra special treats that only ever gets from humans).

Thank you he is rather stunning!

I also met his mum (named Dana Scully :lol:) and whilst I did not meet the man who bred him since he was judging the show hams the lady who sold him to me was the lady who bred his mum!

I was amazed at the hamsters there, they were HUGE :shock: I mean bigger than adolescent guinea pig huge!!! Apparently all my previous hams must have been originally pet shop stock... And hams from rodent farms are stunted or something and don't grow as big as they should :( as McCoy is a boy he won't grow as big as some we saw but still at 7ish weeks he is still clearly a baby and is almost the same size as my last Syrian was full grown!

wow learn something new everyday, he is stunning :love:

He is gorgeous! I used to have hamsters as a kid and loved it! such a shame that they don't live long x

Awww he is so shiney and handsome. What a wondweful present!

What is his set up like? (I love hamster set ups, I have three hammies and just love getting toys, etc on zooplus and amazon for them)!

Awww he is so shiney and handsome. What a wondweful present!

What is his set up like? (I love hamster set ups, I have three hammies and just love getting toys, etc on zooplus and amazon for them)!

At the moment quite small, an old ferplast thingy about 50x40cm and he gets a lot of time out in the evenings. As he gets older and happier to be caught and handled (he is pretty good already) I will add back in the shelves for that cage (almost doubles the floor space) and will add on another cage that is a similar size to the one he has now. To give him lots of space, but I need him to want to come out before I give him so much space and hidey spaces! :lol:

Ooooorrrr I might get the zoozone down from the attic, but I want to keep him in the living room and not sure I can fit the zoozone in!

I've been thinking about this and it makes me realise just how tiny my Thorin is :( He's also completely terrified of being touched even though we've had him for almost a year now, he still won't come near us except to grab a bit of food. Feeling very guilty about getting him from a pet shop now.

Also remembering a hammy from my childhood, she was absolutely massive :shock: Almost guinea pig-size! She was a bit of a grump but still loved to come out and play :love:

At the moment quite small, an old ferplast thingy about 50x40cm and he gets a lot of time out in the evenings. As he gets older and happier to be caught and handled (he is pretty good already) I will add back in the shelves for that cage (almost doubles the floor space) and will add on another cage that is a similar size to the one he has now. To give him lots of space, but I need him to want to come out before I give him so much space and hidey spaces! :lol:

Ooooorrrr I might get the zoozone down from the attic, but I want to keep him in the living room and not sure I can fit the zoozone in!

A small cage at first is a good idea to help with taming. A zoozone would be great. I love that style of cage. Hope you manage to find space for it.

Back