• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair violence???? Please help!

Lisa01

New Kit
Hi,

I have two dwarf bunnies, Ronnie and Reggie (dwarf cross, he's a little bit bigger). They have been together since we adopted them (when they were around 6 months old), with in the first week, Reggie was starting to be aggressive with Ronnie but thankfully (already having the appointment booked) getting them neutered solved everything and we thought that would be the end of it.

But... when we werent around Reggie attacked Ronnie leaving a room full of fur and a rushed vet appointment and medication but we were assured it was unlikely to happen again and probably wasn't anything to worry about, and they got on fine for a couple of months with no issues.

But... again it has happened again, with the same situation.

Basically I really need help with whats best to do, as they're getting on fine now but I want to get to the root of it just in case something more serious happens to my tiny baby. :cry:

Please help!

I really think you will unfortunately have to separate them. The submissive bunny is pprobably living in fear as at any time the other onne might get nasty with him. As it has happened before it is almost a certainty that it will happen again, so it really is best to be safe rather than sorry.

The thing is. These incidents happen months apart from one another. And afterwards it's like nothing has happen, possibly even better than it was before. For example they've been snuggled up or very close to one another ever since it happened last. Are you sure there's nothing else, that could be riggering Reggie?

No I am not sure. It could be for instance another animal which sets them off, if you have other pets. If they are mature now, say a year old, they may feel restricted and want their own space. I don't know how much space they have. Apart from this advice there is no magic answer that I know of - you either carry on as you are or separate. Does the dominant bunny inflict injuries on the other one or just pulls fur? Is it connected with food?

Back