• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lost a bunny

Nigelb

New Kit
I had 2 boy bunnies both lived together since a few months old now 1.5 years, unfortunately one of them died suddenly they were both kept outside should I get another bunny as a companion for him or should I bring him indoors and have him as a house bunny ,thanks any help would be appreciated feeling rather sad at moment as I miss my furry monster.

I had 2 boy bunnies both lived together since a few months old now 1.5 years, unfortunately one of them died suddenly they were both kept outside should I get another bunny as a companion for him or should I bring him indoors and have him as a house bunny ,thanks any help would be appreciated feeling rather sad at moment as I miss my furry monster.

Hello Nigel and welcome to the Forum :wave:

So sorry you lost your little man.

My suggestion would be to definitely get him a companion - rabbits are very social animals. A spayed female would be the most ideal and easiest to bond with him. With a friend it wouldn't matter whether they were indoors or outside, so long as their home was warm, dry and safe with plenty of space to exercise.

You can get a ready-made spayed and vaccinated female rabbit from a Rescue Centre :D

I hope that helps a bit!

I am really sorry to hear about your loss.

I assume your remaining Buck is neutered ? If not then this would need to be done before attempting to introduce him to another Rabbit

In general unless a House Rabbit has a lot of human company all day then they too benefit from a Rabbit friend, just as an outdoor Rabbit would. If everyone in the household is out at work all day then a single house Rabbit will still be alone for most of the time.

I hope all goes well, whatever you decide to do.

My personal opinion is that rabbits live outside in the wild so i prefer to have rabbits living outside, it is their natural habitat.

Definetly get him a companion, he would definitely be grateful.

My personal opinion is that rabbits live outside in the wild so i prefer to have rabbits living outside, it is their natural habitat.

Definetly get him a companion, he would definitely be grateful.

The American Houserabbit was started because actually rabbits living outside are not living in natural conditions at all. In the house they can have much more freedom to express themselves than being in a hutch and a confining run.

I know what you mean about being outside in nature rather than in a man-made edifice though. My buns are totally free range 24/7 they can go up and downstairs and in every room in the house bar one. They also have the garden when I am out there ... I feel that this is the closest replication of wild rabbit habits I can devise :D

thanks for every ones replies I have been in touch with a rehoming center and am currently waiting for a home visit .I have decided to keep them out side I did think about bringing in fred and having him indoors but he is all ready used to be ing out side he is very lonely at moment but hopefully not for long I go out and talk to him as much as I can when I'm around he is a very good listener,i hope he gets a nice girl bunny to snuggle with soon so one again thank you all for replies and will keep you all posted .

thanks for every ones replies I have been in touch with a rehoming center and am currently waiting for a home visit .I have decided to keep them out side I did think about bringing in fred and having him indoors but he is all ready used to be ing out side he is very lonely at moment but hopefully not for long I go out and talk to him as much as I can when I'm around he is a very good listener,i hope he gets a nice girl bunny to snuggle with soon so one again thank you all for replies and will keep you all posted .

good luck with the home check & finding a nice girlie for Fred

just a quick up date have now got a friend for fred her name is winter they are both indoors for winter and are getting on realy well ,they are still in separate hutches during the night but have free range of the living room when I'm about .fred seems a loot happier now and they snuggle up together they look so sweet will get some pics up when I get the chance ,thanks for all of your advice and best wishes .

11204937_10153806644826505_1304701574820637523_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back