• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best diet for rabbits to prevent messy butts

Its impossible for my Brucie to eat hay in the normal way but will occasionally have it well blended-for fibre content rather than tooth wearing.

I guess though in theory it could cut down the frequency of dentals needed on a bunny who can still manage hay so provided weight loss isn't a problem a hay based diet is ideal.

Does the majority hay diet still work well with rabbits with terrible teeth? Can it cut down on the amount of dentals needed?

Thanks everyone!

I think that's another fine line, some rabbits with terrible teeth can't eat hay but I've heard of good diets turning things around too (depends on stage of dental disease)

Does the majority hay diet still work well with rabbits with terrible teeth? Can it cut down on the amount of dentals needed?

Thanks everyone!

Probably not, if the teeth are indeed terrible, because the rabbit simply can't eat it!

It can work if the teeth are carefully managed by an experienced vet, and haven't got to advanced dental disease stage. There seems to be a point of no return, beyond which no amount of fibre will help - even if they can grind it up :)

Back