• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch

Hi can anyone please advise me. My little mini lion lop Leo has lost his hair from above his tail. I know he is moulting as my other 3 rabbits are but bit concerned with the hair loss. Just wondering if anyone thinks it could be something else and if you think I should take him to the vets? I appreciate your advice. Thanks
6b3ca96c49f6eb24522b2a545f44b515.jpg

01fa9b506389f37ecf946d794b9799c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi there. Can you feel any lumps or see any dandruff? All my bunnies have moulted now (outdoors) - are yours inside?

Hi can anyone please advise me. My little mini lion lop Leo has lost his hair from above his tail. I know he is moulting as my other 3 rabbits are but bit concerned with the hair loss. Just wondering if anyone thinks it could be something else and if you think I should take him to the vets? I appreciate your advice. Thanks

I would pop him to the Vets. I think I can see a bit of flaky 'dandruff' on his skin (cant be certain from a photo) and that might indicate that he has Cheyletiella Mites

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

If so it can usually be easily treated with a course of Ivermectin given by subcutaneous injection. Although some Vets use a 'Spot On' treatment. I prefer to give the SQ injections.

Hi there and welcome to RU :wave:

What you've described sounds like fur mites to me, in a classic location on a rabbit, too.

You can buy spot on treatments, and this is what vets tend to use themselves anyway. Your vet will be able to confirm the diagnosis.

The treatment of Ivermectin lasts for 2/3 doses, spaced a fortnight apart, and any other rabbits in the house will need to be treated at the same time.

Good luck xx

Agree with the above advice.
By the pictures it does appear to be mites.
Most over counter treatments don't work that well so I'd say you would be best going straight to the vets - will probably save you money long term.

Hi it is like dandruff. Thanks I have booked him into the vets. Thanks for your help x

Hi, hope you're bunny is okay?

Just to let you know my bunnies are currently being treated for mites by ivermectin and it's made a huge difference already. They had their first dose by injection and then weekly spot on ivermectin! They are currently on their second week and their fur is already looking so much better although we do have another 2 weeks to go and I do Hoover every other day and have disinfected their things! Xx

He is booked into the vets in the morning. Can I ask does anyone know how he got it? He is a lovely clean bunny who is otherwise healthy I belive. The other 3 seem fine?

My bridge house bunny had mites (bald flaky patch on back of neck) the vet stated mites can be in the hay sometimes.She suggested freezing it for 24 hours.Ok If you enough room in your freezer. :)

Back