• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help Me!!!

BunnyBunBunBun

Warren Scout
I am getting two bunnies in the future and we are not getting them from the same litter. We cam only afford one hutch so they would need to be put in together straight away! I was wondering if they would fight in this situation and also some quick bonding tips! Thank you!!!

Yes it is highly probable that they will fight. Why are they coming from different litters? :?

Unfortunately, there are no quick bonding tips. Some rabbits will get along from the off, others will take some time to bond, others will never bond.

Yes it is highly probable that they will fight. Why are they coming from different litters? :?

Unfortunately, there are no quick bonding tips. Some rabbits will get along from the off, others will take some time to bond, others will never bond.

They are not coming from the same litter were getting two different breeds of rabbit! Would fighting be serious as they would be in a neutral environment/

They are not coming from the same litter were getting two different breeds of rabbit! Would fighting be serious as they would be in a neutral environment/

As I said previously, they may never get along and may seriously fight.

You definately need a second hutch in case this happens.

That wouldn't be so nice for the rabbit though, rabbits need space. There is a risk that they may never bond too.
Perhaps you should wait until you can afford proper accommodation for your rabbits?

I think I remember reading on one of your previous threads that one bunny will be yours and the other will be your dad's girlfriend's, and that she is not keen on getting one from a rescue. However if they have to go into the accommodation together straight away then I really do think it will make your lives much easier from the off if you get an already bonded pair from a rescue. They could still be different breeds (eg my boys from rescue are a lop and an uppy-eared mixed breed) plus you have the advantage of knowing they already get along.

2 girls from different litters will not get along from 4 months old or even earlier.

2 boys from different litters will definitely not get on and will start fighting at or before 14 weeks old.

A boy and girl will have babies.

You need a neutered boy with a neutered/unneutered girl and the boy has to be around 14 weeks before he can be neutered.

I just bought this as a temporary home for our Bunny (link at bottom) - I am thinking of getting a second for when we hope to bond next year. It comes with 8 panels that you link together but they also have a version that only has 6 panels. I am thinking in terms of having 2 enclosures for before they are bonded, becoming one super-ten-sided-space. They'd both need a house and food bowls and litter trays though! And maybe buy the flooring for it too!

Alternatively, keep an eye on the likes of gumtree for a second hand cage (though if you're getting a cage, make sure it's as big as can be and that the rabbits have plenty time outside it to get exercise, as cages are not big enough for this).

There are no guarantees your rabbits will bond, and if you just plonk them in together, they may fight, and it will probably end very badly!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280/8_sided/184138?rrec=true

I'm not a bunny expert by the way! So if someone says I'm talking nonsense, you're better listening to them!

Last edited:
There are no quick bonding ways, what i did was divide the hutch into two separate parts. I had a double storey hutch back then, throughout the day one bun would be out in a run whilst the other was in the hutch with a small run attached. Everyday i would swap their living quarters so that they got used to each others smell.

At first i bonded them for 15 minutes but there was a lot of fighting so stopped it there, then it got to half an hour then so on.

I think I remember reading on one of your previous threads that one bunny will be yours and the other will be your dad's girlfriend's, and that she is not keen on getting one from a rescue. However if they have to go into the accommodation together straight away then I really do think it will make your lives much easier from the off if you get an already bonded pair from a rescue. They could still be different breeds (eg my boys from rescue are a lop and an uppy-eared mixed breed) plus you have the advantage of knowing they already get along.

:thumb: I often struggle to understand why people put themselves through the torture of bonding, then separating (owing to fighting or sexual maturity) to rebond (after the stress of neutering). Even if they were of the same sex initially you'd need to separate them before long. Rescues are not just good for rabbits, they are a massive bonus for owners too.

I just spotted your old thread - I jumped to the assumption you were getting indoor buns - I wouldn't use the enclosure I posted for an outdoor bun, as it wouldn't be secure enough or warm enough!

Still worth keeping an eye out for something on gumtree :)

Yes, fighting would be serious. Rabbits can inflict terrible injuries and can result in a rabbit having to be pts.

:thumb: I often struggle to understand why people put themselves through the torture of bonding, then separating (owing to fighting or sexual maturity) to rebond (after the stress of neutering). Even if they were of the same sex initially you'd need to separate them before long. Rescues are not just good for rabbits, they are a massive bonus for owners too.

Yep, I have to say I do think of getting older rescue buns as being the easier option. The nerve wracking stuff such as neutering and bonding are done for you, plus the added bonus of avoiding the difficult teenage phase and the bunny wee facial! :lol:

I think you should really take the advice that has been offered here particularly from Scrappy's Little Helper. What you are suggesting doing does not to me seem in any way sensible.

I wish I had gone for the rescue option (Don't get me wrong - I love my girls) but the whole bonding process is amazingly stressful. You take a step forward then two steps back.
Its been very costly buying new cages etc to introduce them in and has taken over the whole house (We have a three bedroom and two of those rooms were pretty much empty before our buns).

Please take the advice you have been given on here - for the bunnies sake.

I am planning on adopting my one but my dads girlfriend wants to buy a bunny! Do rescues let you bring a bunny in to bond with an older rabbit while the older one is still in the shelter and take it home when they are bonded?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think your dad's girlfriend needs to rethink why she is getting a bunny in the first place. Does she want to get a baby bunny because it is cute? They do grow up, and will she then get bored of it?

You're doing the right thing in wanting to adopt yourself, but you really need to convince your dad's girlfriend that adopting is the best thing to do as well. Especially as there are so many pairs of rabbit wanting to be adopted who sit in rescue centres for years sometimes. If she does get a baby and you adopt, a rescue can sometimes help with the bonding, but you'd first have to wait for the baby rabbit to be old enough to spay/neuter which is expensive, then wait for recovery and the hormones to die down. Then you would be able to start looking at getting them a friend from a rescue. It's just not worth the hassle.

I think your dad's girlfriend needs to rethink why she is getting a bunny in the first place. Does she want to get a baby bunny because it is cute? They do grow up, and will she then get bored of it?

You're doing the right thing in wanting to adopt yourself, but you really need to convince your dad's girlfriend that adopting is the best thing to do as well. Especially as there are so many pairs of rabbit wanting to be adopted who sit in rescue centres for years sometimes. If she does get a baby and you adopt, a rescue can sometimes help with the bonding, but you'd first have to wait for the baby rabbit to be old enough to spay/neuter which is expensive, then wait for recovery and the hormones to die down. Then you would be able to start looking at getting them a friend from a rescue. It's just not worth the hassle.

She really isn't budging, they are trying to get me to buy one as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back