• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thymomas- Re Surgery/Chemotherapy/Radiotherapy

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
A bit of a long shot I guess, but has anyone any experience of a Rabbit diagnosed with a Thymoma who went on to have surgery/chemotherapy/radiotherapy ?

I would be really grateful for any first hand experiences, especially with regards to the Chemotherapy drugs used. If you do not want to post about it on the open Forum maybe you would feel able to PM me. I know that there is considerable disagreement as to the ethics of putting a Rabbit through this type of treatment. I am just trying to obtain some information, not start a debate about the ethics of it all.

TIA xx

I've never experienced it myself thankfully. Did weedug and Fifibutton have rabbits with thymoma?
Sending lots of vibes for the rabbit concerned xx

I've never experienced it myself thankfully. Did weedug and Fifibutton have rabbits with thymoma?
Sending lots of vibes for the rabbit concerned xx

I too have had 3 Rabbits diagnosed with Thymomas. But they were just given palliative care, I have no first hand experience of the surgery/chemo' etc.

I am sorry to hear this :cry: Please pass on my condolences to Hilda, I miss 'seeing' her on RU xx

She and Roger were gutted. It was such a shock too as he was acting normally - he had been out in the garden that day and eating fine. The best way I guess but such a shock for them. :cry:

She and Roger were gutted. It was such a shock too as he was acting normally - he had been out in the garden that day and eating fine. The best way I guess but such a shock for them. :cry:

Yes, all three of my Rabbits who were diagnosed with a Thymoma remained 'well within themselves' on palliative care right up to the end, about 6-10 months after the initial diagnosis.

Move had several thymoma bunnies but, like you, we did palliative care. We talked about chemo for Sky but that would have been driven by my need to have him with me. I feel like Fairy13 had a bunny who had chemo a few years ago? I doubt she comes on here still but maybe a PM might reach her?

Yes, this is Peter, we lost him in March 2014 due to a Thymoma. We did go for surgery which was unfortunately unsuccessful. I won't go into details here but I can message you if you like.

Yes, this is Peter, we lost him in March 2014 due to a Thymoma. We did go for surgery which was unfortunately unsuccessful. I won't go into details here but I can message you if you like.

What a gorgeous chap, I am so sorry that you lost him :cry:

If you felt able to PM me about the surgery I'd be grateful, but I totally understand if you'd find it too distressing to 'talk' about xx

Just catching up with this thread. We've had Mimzy checked over several times for thymoma due to his quick breathing but nothing has ever been found. I think at his advanced age I would not put him through treatment but opt for palliative. One might feel differently for a younger rabbit though, I would guess.
I hope everything is okay with you and your bunnies, Jane. (((((Hugs)))))) xxxxx

Move had several thymoma bunnies but, like you, we did palliative care. We talked about chemo for Sky but that would have been driven by my need to have him with me. I feel like Fairy13 had a bunny who had chemo a few years ago? I doubt she comes on here still but maybe a PM might reach her?

Yes Faye's rabbit is the only rabbit I know of directly that has had chemotherapy. That was around six years ago! If was for leukaemia and worked as picallo lived for many years afterwards :)

A bit of a long shot I guess, but has anyone any experience of a Rabbit diagnosed with a Thymoma who went on to have surgery/chemotherapy/radiotherapy ?

I would be really grateful for any first hand experiences, especially with regards to the Chemotherapy drugs used. If you do not want to post about it on the open Forum maybe you would feel able to PM me. I know that there is considerable disagreement as to the ethics of putting a Rabbit through this type of treatment. I am just trying to obtain some information, not start a debate about the ethics of it all.

TIA xx

hope your kid will get well soon.

Back