• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling to bond 2 males

RachL

New Kit
I have a neutered male rabbit and recently got what I thought was a female (rescue) to be a companion for him. I've taken her to the vets for vaccinations only to be told that she is a he, also neutered. I know that 2 males can be bonded but before finding out that it was a male I'd had concerns that they weren't compatible. Stevie (the rescue) was apparently abandoned by the previous owners and the rescue thinks it's likely he was kept on his own. I don't know how old he is. So when I put him with Ned (my rabbit) they started fighting the first time and ever since Stevie just sits still whenever Ned's around him, like he's trying not to attract attention. Ned's a pretty chilled out rabbit and I think he just wants to play and I don't know whether Stevie is just frightened.

Like I said, I had concerns before I found out Stevie was a he so I'm just not sure what to do, do I persevere? I'm not sure whether to take him back to the rescue. I have told them a couple of times that if they don't get on then I'm taking him back as I only got him for a companion for Ned, there's no point if I can't put them together. I had a female rabbit before Stevie who got on straight away with Ned, they were so cute together, but unfortunately she died.

What do people think? Shall I keep trying or take him back and try for another rescue. I desperately want a companion for Ned, he seems so lonely after loosing Lucy :cry:

Hope that makes sense.

Personally I'd ask to swap him out for a female.
As the female/male mix is meant to be easier. But considering I'm struggling with a female/female mix I guess I can tell what sort of emotional roller-coaster you might be in for.

I know most rescues offer a 'dating' service which might be worth it, especially if you didn't feel they were going to be compatible in the beginning.
Did you introduce them on neutral territory?

Did you put them together on neutral territory? Rabbits are very territorial and dont take kindly to strangers coming into their home.

A good wash down with water and vinegar (fifty fifty) should do the trick. If they have fought you would do well to keep them apart for a few weeks out of sight and smell of each other and try again when you have a few days in a row to watch over them. See the MANY awesome bonding threads on here for inspiration.

Best of luck. There are many on here with happy pairs of bonded males.

Back