• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits back legs not working, possible EC? Has anyone elsa had any experience of it?

Thank you everyone, don't want to sound soppy but I have been really touched by the amount of help you guys have given :love:
The lovely acupuncture vet lady came this afternoon and gave my girl her first session which she tolerated really well so she is booked for another session in 5 days time. She checked her rear end and said that it doesn't look sore so that has eased my mind a bit as I was fretting that she was getting urine scold, despite being bathed every day.
So I guess it's a case of carrying on with the meds and acupuncture and praying that she improves. X

Thank you everyone, don't want to sound soppy but I have been really touched by the amount of help you guys have given :love:
The lovely acupuncture vet lady came this afternoon and gave my girl her first session which she tolerated really well so she is booked for another session in 5 days time. She checked her rear end and said that it doesn't look sore so that has eased my mind a bit as I was fretting that she was getting urine scold, despite being bathed every day.
So I guess it's a case of carrying on with the meds and acupuncture and praying that she improves. X

I'm so pleased to hear that she tolerated the acupuncture well and I really hope that in combination with the conventional medication you will see some signs of improvement. It may take quite some time, but it is possible xx

You're so kind :love:

I'm heartened to hear that she tolerated the acupuncture .. Did she hazard a guess at how many sessions before you *may* see some improvement?

With this sort of thing I also do gentle physio on my buns legs. Keeping them warm and gently stretching - my vet advised this was the right thing to do so I was happy to continue with it. I really found that helpful, with some fairly rapid results too. All buns are different, so they will respond in their own way, bless them :D

May I ask why EC was jumped at first of all? Was her back/spine examined for injury as quickly glancing through these posts there doesn't seem to be any mention whatsoever of a possible spinal or back injury and yet that was my very first thought when I read the title of this post. Just a thought.

I hope whatever is wrong with your bunny girl she recovers quickly :)

I did ask the vet whether she thought it was a spinal injury but she didn't think it was given that it came on a few days after being vaccinated, she thought that it was most likely to be EC and that's what my girl should be treated for in the first instance.
I am worried that we are barking up the wrong tree so to speak but don't want to put her under more stress and risk due to the anaesthetic needed for an X-Ray at the moment.

I did ask the vet whether she thought it was a spinal injury but she didn't think it was given that it came on a few days after being vaccinated, she thought that it was most likely to be EC and that's what my girl should be treated for in the first instance.
I am worried that we are barking up the wrong tree so to speak but don't want to put her under more stress and risk due to the anaesthetic needed for an X-Ray at the moment.

Oh, okay, it was just that hadn't been mentioned which is why I'd asked.

But checks can still be done without an x-ray though, surely? Accidents can happen which can cause back injuries. I still think that it's odd a vaccination can cause rear leg problems, or an EC infection, which usually manifests in the head, can cause back leg problems. But then I'm no vet.

However, if you are "worried that you are barking up the wrong tree" then wouldn't it be best to get the x-ray done, just to be sure? I would. Pointless being treated for a viral infection if it's a broken back (or even just soft tissue injury in the back).

There are cost issues involved too though, I would dearly love to be able to order a raft of tests and scans but I'm not able to. That makes me feel awful too...

But checks can still be done without an x-ray though, surely? Accidents can happen which can cause back injuries. I still think that it's odd a vaccination can cause rear leg problems, or an EC infection, which usually manifests in the head, can cause back leg problems. But then I'm no vet.

However, if you are "worried that you are barking up the wrong tree" then wouldn't it be best to get the x-ray done, just to be sure? I would. Pointless being treated for a viral infection if it's a broken back (or even just soft tissue injury in the back).

It's not that a vaccine can cause EC, but a vaccination will be a challenge to the Rabbit's immune system. Any challenge to the immune system can lead to a subclinical infection to become 'active'. Given that many Rabbits, up to 50%, will test positive to exposure to EC, even if they have no clinical symptoms, it is possible for some Rabbits to become symptomatic when their immune system is challenged by a vaccination. It is certainly a rare event, but it can happen.

There are cost issues involved too though, I would dearly love to be able to order a raft of tests and scans but I'm not able to. That makes me feel awful too...

Very few of us have a bottomless pit of money to be able to afford huge Vet bills. I certainly dont, but I am exceptionally lucky as I have help in that respect. Only those able to afford Insurance or to be able to find a spare few hundred/thousand pounds can manage to fund endless amounts of Vet fees. You are doing all you can and your Rabbit is on both treatment for EC and for pain/inflammation.

Thanks for that Jack's-Jane, you hit the nail on the head! Maybe I should ask for donations to an X-Ray fund instead of Christmas presents!

Of course I completely understand, and I am in the same situation! Please don't feel awful - we do what we can, and our best is always good enough :D

In a way you are right Angie, as having a vaccination - human or animal - causes an assault to the immune system. I said this in my first post, that it's at time when the immune system is compromised that we find out our rabbits' weaknesses. Sometimes rabbits get mites immediately following vaccination. Of course the hope is that there are no issues, but unfortunately sometimes there are.

I hope that makes sense!

Jack's-Jane, I'll get writing this afternoon!
Mighty Max, sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation, it's rubbish isn't it?

Hi

Sorry for hijacking thread - just wondered if it a rabbit does have ec should they be on panacur until they seem over it?

My rabbit has very similar symptoms and has been on panacur for 2 weeks. The head tilt has gone but still feel he has a weakness in his back legs.

Hope your rabbit is doing better woollybean

Hi KMD, not hijacking at all, it's good to hear from people with EC experience, knowledge is power and all that!
I have been given 28 days of Lapizole which is like Panacur which obviously I will finish and go back to the vets if she is still ill. What has your vet given you?
One thing that I was wondering is that my girl hasn't had any head tilt at all, do all rabbits with EC get head tilt? I have googled it but can't see anything definitive.
She is no better today unfortunately, still bright in herself and eating ok but legs still useless. She has been indoors with her friend since it came on and she is managing to shuffle around their enclosure. I have put lots of towels down to mop up the wee and give her a bum wash every day which she is tolerating very well, poor girl!

Hi woollybean,
We have been given panacur tmtry for 28 days too. Like you I wanted to have an X-Ray done and then vet suggested trying this first as it may be ec. I found after a couple of days he seemed better but I feel he is starting to go downhill again. Sammy isn't dragging his legs but just seems a little slower.
I'm just always worried he's suffering.....if only they could talk

Yes, KMD, if only they could talk. I think I'd ask my girl 'do you think it is a back injury,or am I doing the right thing treating you for EC?', 'are you ok for the moment while we try and treat the EC?', 'are you in pain?' and finally 'do you realise that all the things I am doing that you think are mean, like putting syringes full of medicine down your throat and dunking your bum in water every day, is because I love you and want to make you better?'
Sorry to hear that your bunny seems a bit slower, is there any improvement today?
Sending hugs to all poorly rabbits and their carers x

Just want to send you some vibes. My bun has e.c atm except it's affected her front legs and she's leaning to one side rather than having a "proper" head tilt. It's awful and I really hope your bun responds to treatment. Xena was on panacur for two weeks when she had a fit (causing the front end weakness and leaning) so it definitely gets worse before getting better. She is doing brilliantly atm and if you want to you can read through my thread to see if that helps. However, you seem to be doing everything right so far.

(I can't link my thread since I'm on my phone.)

Back