• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over grooming mate

anaqi

Warren Scout
I think Eddie loves his Rosie a little too much. She has always demanded that he groom her frequently but Eddie has been doing it so much recently that she's developing bald patches. Since the summer she's had two bald patches on her back here he gives her love bites when he's feeling amorous. The vet has seen then and is not concerned as the skin isn't broken, it's just grazed.

Recently she's developed a bald patch above her nose and she has less fur under her eyes than usual. Last night I checked her over and she has a significant bald patch on her bum just above her tail. Rosie appears to be in good health, her skin is in good condition and there is no skin flakes or mites in her fur. She is moulting at the moment but she does look an odd duck with all her bald spots.

Is there anything I can do? Eddie and Rosie live in a 6 x 2 x 2 ft hutch with 24 hour access to a covered 8 x 5 ft run and time out on the lawn every day. They have a diet of greens, hay and pellets and they have plenty of toys, jingle balls, digging box, plastic tunnel, plastic chair, hide box, cardboard boxes and tubes.

I think Eddie loves his Rosie a little too much. She has always demanded that he groom her frequently but Eddie has been doing it so much recently that she's developing bald patches. Since the summer she's had two bald patches on her back here he gives her love bites when he's feeling amorous. The vet has seen then and is not concerned as the skin isn't broken, it's just grazed.

Recently she's developed a bald patch above her nose and she has less fur under her eyes than usual. Last night I checked her over and she has a significant bald patch on her bum just above her tail. Rosie appears to be in good health, her skin is in good condition and there is no skin flakes or mites in her fur. She is moulting at the moment but she does look an odd duck with all her bald spots.

Is there anything I can do? Eddie and Rosie live in a 6 x 2 x 2 ft hutch with 24 hour access to a covered 8 x 5 ft run and time out on the lawn every day. They have a diet of greens, hay and pellets and they have plenty of toys, jingle balls, digging box, plastic tunnel, plastic chair, hide box, cardboard boxes and tubes.

Poor little Rosie!

I think the answer would be to try and provide more exciting and varied things for Eddie to do, so that he doesn't have so much interest in Rosie. Lots of hay/readigrass in baskets, containers (cardboard tubes and small boxes hung around the place etc) so that he gets his love of fibre that way. Seagrass mats and baskets, willow toys and all kinds of chewies :D

You could try putting a drop of ointment onto Rosie to deter him. I had a similar (but not identical) issue with a rabbit years ago, and I managed eventually to solve it using an ayuvedic cream which was not only healing, but a strong deterrent to the chewer. You could ask your vet about safe ones to use for Rosie's patches.

Is Rosie spayed as if not she might be feeling a little broody and he is being sympathetic. Do they have lots of hay and the other reason is rosie may not be feeling very well and again he is comforting her.

Back