• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Constant mounting!!

gem6517

Young Bun
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any ideas about this - our bonded pair Mini & Jay have been together about 2 years. Jay is the boy & the boss & lets us all know it! Mini is an affectionate wee thing & has some long-term health issues, though she's fine at the moment.

At the moment Jay is just constantly chasing & mounting Mini. He always does it every now & again but this is just ALL THE TIME. We've tried letting him get on with it, but Mini tries her best to escape him & he just keeps chasing her. If we stop him he just goes right back to it. Her back legs aren't great so I can't imagine being jumped on by him all the time is great for her. She usually ends up sort of pulling herself along with him hanging on behind her...

Is it just a phase? Do we just ignore it? I've tried giving him loads of attention, with Mini, every time he does it which stops him in his tracks for a while but usually not long.

Any ideas! Poor Mini would be grateful for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am assuming Jay is neutered? I would imagine as Mini is a weaker rabbit with some problems Jay is taking advantage of this and "bullying" her. Have you tried to sort Mini's problems out so she stood a better chance of standing up to Jay when she feels better? If there isn't much you can do to improve her health then I think the best way is to separate them as it will be very miserable for Mini. Sorry.

Yes, they're both neutered & Mini's health is as good as it can be. I'm not sure separating them is the answer to be honest. Mini's had health issues for almost 2 years, but the chasing is quite recent. Nevertheless, she ALWAYS goes back to him for grooming and company & they hate being separated for too long. I think even with Jay's recent behaviour, they're happier together than either of them would be apart. It would certainly be the absolute last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a recent thing it might be he is picking up on something wrong with her - so I would be tempted to have a vet check just to rule that out

Back