• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training Outside

Plushlops

Young Bun
My buns are kept in a 6 x 4 shed with a 6 x 4 attached run that they have permanent access too. In the shed they have 3 litter trays that they use (2 washing up bowls and 1 under bed storage box) They don't wee or poo in the hutch (3ft filled to brim with straw) in the shed or on the floor in the shed but they poo everywhere in the run.

Within 2 days the floor of the run is thick with poo! The run is only half covered at the moment but I am covering the rest of it next week. The floor of the run is half concrete and half decking. They seem to poo on the concrete more.

How can I stop them doing this? Thanks x

I suppose it's more natural outside, I know of no way to stop them sadly and this damp weather doesn't help. If you hear of something let me know! :thumb:

I also have no offers of help, only to say mine have become much less litter trained since various changes happened! Mine poo all over the run much more than they ever used to, they also poo much more over the floor of the playhouse and hutch-mezzanine, but not the concrete floor of the hutch...

The changes were getting Aboleth and moving them into the playhouse simultaneously, then adding the old hutch on as an extension. Prior to that Lopsy was pretty well litter trained, and Aboleth too was pretty clean I'm told :) Now we even have wee problems in the playhouse (which I usually blame on Lopsy as I've caught him doing it a couple of times!).

OH cleared out the run yesterday before it rained using a dustpan and brush. The week before we needed to use a spade!

Hi , mine poo in their run, they ONLY poo in their run, I must be lucky?, I don't know. They choose not to use the litter tray in their shed, unless I have access to the run closed during winter storms, and when I do, I get a lot more poops scattered around inside.

I have similar issues as you, but I'm okay with their decision that the run is their chosen place to poop.. away from the snug, warm nest of the shed, which is a good thing x

Mine also use a lot of their run to poop in, as buns generally 'poop as they go' . I have raised wooden platforms on the half of the run closest to their shed.. the far end of the run I have the litter trays ( wee trays ) at the farthest distance from the shed. They always wee in their trays or just next to them...and they try to poop in that area, but being buns, they also scatter poop as they move around and eat...so I guess I consider their litter trays the 'wee / poop trays and the areas surrounding the trays general pooping zone.

I'm happy with that, I clean that area everyday, and I havn't managed to get the buns to poop tidier.. but, I'm happy with our routine.

And yes.. any change in cicumstances, new housing, etc...will create lots of pooping everywhere, for a while.. (undetermined length of time) but they should slowly settle and automatically choose to 'midden poop' at the furthest boundary point from their nest (shed )

Don't know if that makes sense, I'm just chatting, I guess, about what my buns have shown me over a time.

XXX

Mine are outside too, and they mostly go in their litter tray but they still go on the grass sometimes. I'm not sure how to make them go 100% of the time in their tray, as I said mine mostly go in the tray so I just let them get away with a little pooping elsewhere. :roll:

Back