• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help needed

Ooshaboo

Young Bun
Hey there, I'm pretty new to this and need some advice.
We have a year old female neutered Rex, she has the run of downstairs 24/7 and did have run of upstairs when we are home.
We found her a boyfriend, a 5 month old neutered lop, I brought him home yesterday, he is settling into the spare room for a little while. How long should I give him to settle in before starting the bonding process? Don't want to stress him out. When they first met (before we got him) they were great, sniffing each other and licking each other.
I went to check on him before bed last night and give food and top up hay. Then went to check on her and picked up her toy to move it and she bit me, which is very out of character for her. I don't know if his scent on me has made her territorial or that I had her toy.
Any help will be greatly received :)

Hiya.. It's good to see you are giving your bun a new friend.

It's likely she had a nip at you due to the strange smell....

Theres masses of info on here about bonding but if your new bun has settled and eating, drinking and pooing., you could give it a try.. just remember though, it must be in a totally neutral territory where neither has been before... If that leaves your bathroom only, well that needs to be it,,,

All the very very best.. Keep us posted,,,

She may have been having a nap and you startled her! Where are you going to bond the bunnies as it will need to be neutral as far as your female is concerned. You can give him a few days to settle in but take the female to the male, not the other way around. Be prepared before you start, have a good day free so you can monitor them. Let us know how they get on.

He seems happy, he's just flopped next to me. Input and output are good. There was some thumping last night but the wind was really loud, after I checked on him he seemed to stop.
She has been in the bathroom a few times but I'm hoping if I bleach everywhere it would still be a good room to start? The bath is my other option then move onto the bathroom floor?
We have family coming around today so I'm thinking to start tomorrow as it might stress them both out having kids about.
Thanks for the help

Watered down white vinegar is a fab neutraliser! Makes the house smell like a chip shop but doesn't damage like bleach does.

Back