• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Referral needed. Recommendations Please!!

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

My rabbit Jasper has been struggling with sneezing fits. He has a tooth root problem which is the likely cause but we are not getting great results with the antibiotics we've tried. Our last visit the vet took a swab but unless the results give us something new to try then the vet discussed referring him. We are in Middlesbrough (North East) and her suggestion was someone in Nottingham. That's a 2 hour drive which isn't an issue for me but Jasper isn't a great traveller. His wife used to settle him but he's on his own now :(

Frances Harcourt Brown is only an hour away in harrogate but unfortunately she is semi-retired now and isn't taking referrals :(. Her practice recommended Molly Varga but she is based in Manchester (2.5 hrs).

Does anyone have recommendations? Obviously closer the better but we will travel for the right vet. No expense spared for our Jaspy! ;)

Thanks,
Dan

Hi,

My rabbit Jasper has been struggling with sneezing fits. He has a tooth root problem which is the likely cause but we are not getting great results with the antibiotics we've tried. Our last visit the vet took a swab but unless the results give us something new to try then the vet discussed referring him. We are in Middlesbrough (North East) and her suggestion was someone in Nottingham. That's a 2 hour drive which isn't an issue for me but Jasper isn't a great traveller. His wife used to settle him but he's on his own now :(

Frances Harcourt Brown is only an hour away in harrogate but unfortunately she is semi-retired now and isn't taking referrals :(. Her practice recommended Molly Varga but she is based in Manchester (2.5 hrs).

Does anyone have recommendations? Obviously closer the better but we will travel for the right vet. No expense spared for our Jaspy! ;)

Thanks,
Dan

Give me a PM if you're struggling to find a good vet and I shall contact my friend in the area. She has had great success finding a good one ...

Good luck xx

Judith Brown at FirstVets in Forest Hall (Newcastle), its about an hour's drive from you I think

http://www.firstvets.co.uk/surgeries/10-firstvets-forest-hall

Excellent thanks. Yep thats not far and I know the area.

Our vet is rabbit savvy but she said they weren't setup for what he needs here. She spoke about the possibility of sending a camera up his nose. I'm guessing the Forest Veterinary are fully set up for this kind of thing? Obviously our vet would make sure of this but I'm trying to be proactive while I wait for her call (with swab results) next week.

Thanks again

Our vet is rabbit savvy but she said they weren't setup for what he needs here. She spoke about the possibility of sending a camera up his nose. I'm guessing the Forest Veterinary are fully set up for this kind of thing? Obviously our vet would make sure of this but I'm trying to be proactive while I wait for her call (with swab results) next week.

Thanks again

I'm not 100% sure but *I think* Nigel Harcourt-Brown takes referrals for nasal endoscopy as it's one of his areas of expertise. If the referral is specifically for that rather than a 'rabbit referral' then Crab Lane might still be an option. If you haven't specifically discussed this with them re the referral it might be worth considering

http://www.crablanevets.co.uk/our-practice/veterinary-surgeons/

Last edited:

Thanks again

I only know that Judith is a very Rabbit Savvy Vet. I dont know what specific diagnostic facilities are available at the Surgery where she is based.

Thanks Jacks-Jane/Bunny Buddy

Both look like good options. I'll ask the vet to check with Crab Lane Vets, could be ideal. Forest Hall looks a good option too if they are geared up for it. I'll let my vet contact them and ask the right questions. If not then I guess we'll have to drive further afield.

Thanks again - very helpful.

Give me a PM if you're struggling to find a good vet and I shall contact my friend in the area. She has had great success finding a good one ...

Good luck xx

Thanks MightyMax,

nearly missed your post. I'll see what my vet comes up with and may very well take you up on your offer if we are still stuck :)

Back