• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Rabbits have fallen out!

We have 2 rabbits, One Mini lop and one Netherlands dwarf. We got them as babies and we got the Netherland dwarf first but then 2 days later we got the mini lop as we felt its unnatural to keep them alone. We got them over 2 years ago now and they have been the best of mates ever since.

However, recently we moved into a temporary home whilst moving house and the garden has very little vegetation for them as most of it is patio. Before we moved, we had a big garden that they had the full run of and had unlimited grass and bushes that was quite simply a bunny heaven so it was quite a change for them to move to this temporary garden (which they still have the full run of). We also have a dog (border collie) that protects the rabbits well and lives happily with them.
We were worried that they would struggle in the new garden, so everyday we give them lots of fresh hay and rabbit pellets as well as branches and grass we collect on dog walks.
We have been here for about a month now and the rabbits have been getting on fine and settled in really quickly.
However, yesterday for the first time, since they have been neutered 2 years ago, they started to be aggressive towards each other in the garden. They kept going towards each other bottom but we didn't think much of it because they were fine when they went into the hutch, but when we came back later that day there was clumps of fur all over the garden! So I immediately checked them over and they were fine and i separated them in the hutch by putting one in the top half and one in the bottom. However, when i went out later to check on them they had somehow got together again and were snuggled up keeping warm and we didn't have the heart to separate them again so we left them to it and hoped for the best.
When i came back today they were fighting again but i started to notice it was mainly the Netherland dwarf attacking the Mini Lop. So i immediately separated them again and checked them over.
The Netherlands dwarf was perfectly fine and i didn't notice a difference. However, the Mini lop has lots of bald patches on his bum and lots of broken skin from bite marks (one was found dangerously close to his eye) and for the first time i notice he has lost lots of weight which i hadn't noticed before.

So now this is why I'm asking for help. We have no idea why they are being like this and what we should do about it. I have separated them again and put a brick on top of the door so they can't push there way to each other.
But i am very worried now and have searched everywhere for a similar situations but what is unusual is that they are so loving in there hutch and groom each other but as soon as they are outside they start fighting and I'm worried it will get worse.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP :cry:

Sometimes when a rabbit becomes ill their bonded partner may start attacking them. Perhaps you should get your rabbits checked out by a vet to see if there's an underlying health problem with either of them. This may also explain why one is losing weight.

Yeah I agree....this could be the cause....I hope the bunny who has lost weight and is sore will be on the mend asap & there is nothing too serious. To help them keep their bond - take both buns together to the vets. Shame...its aweful when bunnies fight :-( good luck xx

Sometimes when a rabbit becomes ill their bonded partner may start attacking them. Perhaps you should get your rabbits checked out by a vet to see if there's an underlying health problem with either of them. This may also explain why one is losing weight.

Back