• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new little Mini Lop!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum world and new to rabbit ownership (not new to pets, though! had reptiles and african pygmy hogs!).

Anyway, I got my little lop 2 days ago at 8 weeks old.
My concern is- On the first day he ate quite abit and had a drink, however, since then he's not had anything. He's also not very lively. Lazier than me, in fact lol. doesn't run around much, just sits in the same spot for hours and moves every now and again.

I did put this down to age earlier and being new to the surroundings - but I am really worried due to not seeing him eat or drink/maybe he filled himself up on the first night?

I could really use some advice or something. That'd be great. He is indoor and in cage, but it's open always for him to freerun whenever.

Thanks!
302web5.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Aww bless him, being honest he doesn't look very happy! :(

I personally would get him to the vets ASAP, especially with him being so young and with you saying he hasn't eaten? Unfortunately rabbits can go down really quickly! So has he eaten anything at all today? And has he pooed?

Also just to check what has he been eating up until now, guessing hay? And possibly a pellet or mix feed? xx

Really hope he feels better soon xx

Oh goodness yes get ASAP, I would class this as an emergency and make sure the vets know that and see him immediately. He doesn't sound or look well at all :(

Good luck

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum world and new to rabbit ownership (not new to pets, though! had reptiles and african pygmy hogs!).

Anyway, I got my little lop 2 days ago at 8 weeks old.
My concern is- On the first day he ate quite abit and had a drink, however, since then he's not had anything. He's also not very lively. Lazier than me, in fact lol. doesn't run around much, just sits in the same spot for hours and moves every now and again.

I did put this down to age earlier and being new to the surroundings - but I am really worried due to not seeing him eat or drink/maybe he filled himself up on the first night?

I could really use some advice or something. That'd be great. He is indoor and in cage, but it's open always for him to freerun whenever.

Thanks!
302web5.jpg

Hello

Unfortunately your Rabbit looks to be unwell. It may be a gastrointestinal problem, 8 week old Rabbits have an extremely delicate digestive system and no new foods should be introduced at this stage. So the baby should only be fed what he/she had whilst still with his/her mother. The stress of moving to a new home will also have an impact on the GI tract.

As a word of warning, the corn that he has had is really best avoided for all Rabbits. It can cause intestinal obstructions. I realise that you would not have known this as they are sold as Rabbit 'treats'.

It really is essential that you get your Rabbit to a Vet this afternoon
. Baby Rabbits can become extremely ill very quickly. The sooner Veterinary treatment is sought the better the prognosis. So do please get in touch with a Vet now and get your Rabbit seen as soon as possible

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Hello

Unfortunately your Rabbit looks to be unwell. It may be a gastrointestinal problem, 8 week old Rabbits have an extremely delicate digestive system and no new foods should be introduced at this stage. So the baby should only be fed what he/she had whilst still with his/her mother. The stress of moving to a new home will also have an impact on the GI tract.

As a word of warning, the corn that he has had is really best avoided for all Rabbits. It can cause intestinal obstructions. I realise that you would not have known this as they are sold as Rabbit 'treats'.

It really is essential that you get your Rabbit to a Vet this afternoon
. Baby Rabbits can become extremely ill very quickly. The sooner Veterinary treatment is sought the better the prognosis. So do please get in touch with a Vet now and get your Rabbit seen as soon as possible

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Thankyou, i was really hoping that wouldn't be the case and it was maybe common behaviour :(

I'll contact the vets, thanks again people!
heres a pic of him from 2 minutes ago
2jfemv4.jpg

Good luck at the vets! He does sound like he's struggling. When they're so young, the stress of suddenly being alone in a new place can trigger gut stasis - which causes pain and a painful bun won't eat or move around which in turn causes more gut stasis, a vicious circle!

Hello & welcome to the forum - It's already been covered by other posters that a vets trip should be had ASAP so I won't add more, but sending huge vibes your way and please do keep us updated on how bunny is x

Update - Took Bunny to the Vets - he looked out for all possible signs of any gut issues, took weight & temperatures and i was informed it is most likely stress of the new place causing him to zone out. Told to keep an eye out the next few days, he did liven up once we got to the vets and happily ran around the room for a little while lol.

Anyway, will have to see how he goes on the next couple of days, thank you guys i'll keep you all updated-

P.s does anyones rabbit have a thing for laying on news paper? out of all the room(s) to choose to chill, he sits on here always :D

i1l43n.jpg

He is probably used to newspaper so that's why he chooses to sit on it. I'm hopeless with names, but hope he is ok and remember no new foods just yet!

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of bunnies. Hope your new pet soon settles. My indoor lop likes to lie on the TV guide a lot. If the ink on your paper get smudged you could always call the little one Smudge. Hope he soon feels better, then you'll know the joy of seeing them run and play.:wave:

I am glad it is positive news at the vets and I hope bunny settles in soon - I'm useless with names, took me 2 months to get my furbaby his name and lots of sitting there calling him various ones till his ears pricked loil.... Sometimes bunnies will name themselves by what their personality is like too :)

I'm pleased you managed to get to the vet. Are you giving him plenty of hay? (Should be 80% of his diet). I don't wish to be rude, but it looks as though he does have rather a lot of dry food.

Hope he's been eating ok tonight. As Babsie says, lots of hay! Our little guy likes to lie on cardboard too :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Aww bless him, being honest he doesn't look very happy! :(

I personally would get him to the vets ASAP, especially with him being so young and with you saying he hasn't eaten? Unfortunately rabbits can go down really quickly! So has he eaten anything at all today? And has he pooed?

Also just to check what has he been eating up until now, guessing hay? And possibly a pellet or mix feed? xx

Really hope he feels better soon xx

Good post by Ruth ... I hope all goes well at the vets :thumb:

Turns out the Bunny has GI Stasis. Took him again to the vets, extremely bloated and grinding his teeth. He was there for 6 hours on IV, given to injections and antibiotic. Hasn't done him any favors so far (got back 4 hours ago). Given food to syringe feed him with however he absolutely refuses to take it. I'm giving him tummy massages every 1 hour for 15 minutes and trying to get him to run around as much as possible to try and get that little stomach going. I have been told to prepare for the worst BUT there is still a chance. How do you guys feel about this? He absolutely refuses syringe feed even when i hold his head still. I really don't have much hope at this point and I REALLY could use some pointers, advice, absolutely anything to get little Tirion through this Stasis and Bloat.

Back