• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!

Hi Everyone
We are currently trying to bong our 7 month female with a gorgeous rescue bunny (2-3yrs old). On advice from the rescue we had them living side by side for about a week and then started introducing them in the bath. First couple meeting no incidents just general interest, then Prim started mounting Fin and he just sat there all chilled like he was on the beach lol. Once Prim decided he was all good they started laying side by side stretched out, grooming each other and eating and sharing green. So this morning we decided to up their territory a little and take it to the next stage so set up a small pen in our box room (neutral territory also) and popped them in with the hope we could watch them all day and all being well have their first night left together but where we can hear should there be a problem. All started fine they were eating, sitting with each other etc and then Fin decided to mount Prim which did not go down well. She was petrified and ran into her litter tray, they would then sit together and she keeps pushing her head under his and has groomed him but if he moves to sudden she thinks he will mount and runs. Surely her putting her head under him is encouraging him to mount as this is what he did in the beginning?
I am completely confused and suddenly worried about leaving them by themselves..........any thoughts!!??

Fin is SO laid back and Prim is younger and more let me climb all over you so it seemed perfect how things had gone. Is it normal for him to suddenly try his luck or do we need to go back a few steps and keep them separate with small amounts of time in the pen.

It is normal for the female to run away from the male for a few days until she feels more confident around him. But if they are in a small space it makes it difficult to run away - I usually bond in a big area with lots to do, lots of hay to eat. It will possibly be more difficult as you are introducing a male into a female's territory so make sure it is a very neutral area when you put them together. It usually takes about 3 days before things settle down although this does vary. Good luck :thumb:

Thank you! I think i was over worrying as they are now eating pellets out of the same bowl (they have two) and keep snuggling. Its so nerve racking lol. I think it would do more damage than good to separate them now as yesterday we were out all day so we chose to put them together for just over and hour and then back to their cages, Prim chewed her hutch to pieces which she has never done before. They seem happier together than apart. Once they are bonded they have a big new aviary to go into so it will be completely neutral to them both :)

Sticking her head under his is saying please groom me.
I can understand what you mean about nerve racking - but it is all sounding good!

Thank you! I think i was over worrying as they are now eating pellets out of the same bowl (they have two) and keep snuggling. Its so nerve racking lol. I think it would do more damage than good to separate them now as yesterday we were out all day so we chose to put them together for just over and hour and then back to their cages, Prim chewed her hutch to pieces which she has never done before. They seem happier together than apart. Once they are bonded they have a big new aviary to go into so it will be completely neutral to them both :)
g.png
Goodluck binky

Sticking her head under his is saying please groom me.
I can understand what you mean about nerve racking - but it is all sounding good!

This. In my experience if one bunny demands a groom and the other bunny doesn't oblige, this is where a bit of chasing can occur as the opine asking for grooming is frustrated. All normal though and I do let chasing happen as long as it doesn't escalate to circling and doesn't go on too long!

Good luck :)

Back