• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinary infection - update - Propalin?

Thanks for your replies. I will let you know how we get on.

I will tell Cassie to start those pelvic exercises Jane :lol:

Thanks for your replies. I will let you know how we get on.

I will tell Cassie to start those pelvic exercises Jane :lol:

I should tell my bun to begin them too, then she won't have to start with the Propalin :lol:

Please let me know of any side effects you notice ..

The Propalin didn't work for Cassie so my vet is looking into something else but Cassie had no side effects from the meds. We tried her on them for a couple of weeks and believe it should have worked within that time.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to what may help, I can ask my vet to investigate.

She has got a little arthritis on her lower spine but not sure if it was enough to put pressure on her bladder. I will specifically ask the question though. What would we do if that is the issue.

ETA - just looked on her x-ray (took a photo on my phone :oops: ) and where the vet pointed out the arthritis, it does not look like it is near anything to put pressure on.

Last edited:
Thanks Liz. We are not ruling out arthritis possibly but she seems to move around fine and not in pain. We have also tried with metacam in the past but it makes no difference.

The Propalin didn't work for Cassie so my vet is looking into something else but Cassie had no side effects from the meds. We tried her on them for a couple of weeks and believe it should have worked within that time.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to what may help, I can ask my vet to investigate.

I'm sorry the Propalin hasn't made any difference. Has your vet any other ideas as to how to deal with the issue?

Could you remind me how old she is please?

He said there was something else we could try and was going to read up on it. Not sure what it was so we are waiting for a call back. She is 7.

I have just been reading on other threads and came across some people giving metoclop in case of "constipation" and could be straining but I don't think this is the case as she is poop perfect and does not look like she is straining. She is a great hay eater too.

He said there was something else we could try and was going to read up on it. Not sure what it was so we are waiting for a call back. She is 7.

I have just been reading on other threads and came across some people giving metoclop in case of "constipation" and could be straining but I don't think this is the case as she is poop perfect and does not look like she is straining. She is a great hay eater too.

I hope the Vet can come up with another option to try. I cant remember if Cassie has had a urine sample taken by Cystocentesis ( a needle is placed into the bladder through the abdomen and a sample of urine is removed directly from the bladder). This is the most reliable method of identifying the specific bacteria involved in any UTI. 'Free flow' or 'manually expressed' urine samples are not always reliable. It could be that there is a specific bacteria lurking deep within the bladder wall that is resistant to the antibiotics Cassie has had so far :?

Hopefully she is still doing OK with herself ?

I hope the Vet can come up with another option to try. I cant remember if Cassie has had a urine sample taken by Cystocentesis ( a needle is placed into the bladder through the abdomen and a sample of urine is removed directly from the bladder). This is the most reliable method of identifying the specific bacteria involved in any UTI. 'Free flow' or 'manually expressed' urine samples are not always reliable. It could be that there is a specific bacteria lurking deep within the bladder wall that is resistant to the antibiotics Cassie has had so far :?

Hopefully she is still doing OK with herself ?

Hi Jane

The vet tried to obtain a sample via Cystocentesis but was unable to extract anything. When she was under GA for x-ray/ultrasound I think as they has been pushing on bladder it had come out "naturally" and none left. He also tried to take some when I took her back for bloods but that proved unsuccessful too.

We have tried penicillin for 2 weeks and that had no effect what so ever. We have had intermittent success with Septrin previously (she seems prone to being wet and it did sort it within a day or so and she would then be OK for months) but it did not seem to help much this time and she is much wetter. It is also ad-hoc so some days she is soaking and then she will be dry for a couple.

She is doing fine within her usual cute self. I don't get an many licks off her now she has Rambo though :roll:

Hi Jane

The vet tried to obtain a sample via Cystocentesis but was unable to extract anything. When she was under GA for x-ray/ultrasound I think as they has been pushing on bladder it had come out "naturally" and none left. He also tried to take some when I took her back for bloods but that proved unsuccessful too.

We have tried penicillin for 2 weeks and that had no effect what so ever. We have had intermittent success with Septrin previously (she seems prone to being wet and it did sort it within a day or so and she would then be OK for months) but it did not seem to help much this time and she is much wetter. It is also ad-hoc so some days she is soaking and then she will be dry for a couple.

She is doing fine within her usual cute self. I don't get an many licks off her now she has Rambo though :roll:

Oh dear !! :lol:

So pleased to hear that she remains well within herself. I know that Baytril gets slatted a lot, but IME it can be a good abx for teating UTIs. But the course needs to be long, at least 2 weeks IME. Has the Vet tried Cassie with Baytril ? You have probably already said, I have trouble keeping up with things these days :oops:
E.Coli is a bacteria which can cause sporadic episodes of cystitis/incontinence.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

E.Coli is sensitive to fluoroquinolone antibiotics, of which Baytril is one.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Enrofloxacin.htm

Has she had a full blood profile run recently ? Sometimes what may appear to be 'incontinence' is actually polyuria (passing abnormally large amounts of dilute urine). So a blood profile might provide some useful information.

Hi Jane

So has she been on antibiotics without a confirmed diagnosis of there being bacteria present? Just trying to get ahold of your vet's way of thinking on this one :)

Back