• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nutraquin+

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
Over the past summer our old girl, Pineapple who is about 9 1/2 years old, developed some stiffness and awkwardness in her right hind leg, and for the past few months she's been on metacam daily; periodic acupunture sessions; and leg massages, initially 2-3 times a week but now daily.

A week ago she was also started on Nutraquin+, the cat version which has no flavour (unlike the dog one which apparently tastes of beef) to help support her joints. During the loading period she has to have half a capsule of powder each day, which is probably fine if mixed into moist cat food, but I'm trying to think up ways to get it down her considering her diet is hay, pellets and vegetables. So far the best options seem to be spreading the powder on broad but thin slices of apple or banana but I don't want to be feeding her too much fruit.

Has anyone any experience of feeding this stuff and if so, how did you manage to get it down your rabbit? I've been wondering about moistening her pellet ration and mixing it in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Baby food? Get the ones in the squeezy tubes with the nozzle - use what you need and keep the rest in the fridge.
Apple or carrot puree. Make your own and freeze in ice cube trays, decant and store in a freezer bag. Defrost one a day overnight in the fridge.

You only need a teaspoonful at most - bunny will probably lick it off a spoon, or you could syringe feed it.

Hi Shimmer. Now why didn't I think of puree-ing something? In fact it might be simplest just to mash a piece of banana and mix the powder in, but I'll have alook at the babyfood option. Thank you.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone whose rabbits have been on this treatment, especially as to how much of a difference you thought it made.

Last edited:
Over the past summer our old girl, Pineapple who is about 9 1/2 years old, developed some stiffness and awkwardness in her right hind leg, and for the past few months she's been on metacam daily; periodic acupunture sessions; and leg massages, initially 2-3 times a week but now daily.

A week ago she was also started on Nutraquin+, the cat version which has no flavour (unlike the dog one which apparently tastes of beef) to help support her joints. During the loading period she has to have half a capsule of powder each day, which is probably fine if mixed into moist cat food, but I'm trying to think up ways to get it down her considering her diet is hay, pellets and vegetables. So far the best options seem to be spreading the powder on broad but thin slices of apple or banana but I don't want to be feeding her too much fruit.

Has anyone any experience of feeding this stuff and if so, how did you manage to get it down your rabbit? I've been wondering about moistening her pellet ration and mixing it in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm surprised a vet would recommend something for a rabbit which contained shellfish and squid cartilage ... :?

I'm surprised a vet would recommend something for a rabbit which contained shellfish and squid cartilage ... :?

I went to a nursing congress and spoke to nutravet. They did say that they use them for many species including rabbits. Seems weird though! They do an equine version but it's probably too strong for rabbits.

I went to a nursing congress and spoke to nutravet. They did say that they use them for many species including rabbits. Seems weird though! They do an equine version but it's probably too strong for rabbits.

I have always sourced vegetarian versions .. quite easy with glucosamine. I see no reason to feed a vegan with fish meal if I don't have to! :shock:

I have always sourced vegetarian versions .. quite easy with glucosamine. I see no reason to feed a vegan with fish meal if I don't have to! :shock:

Yeah I would think that ones free of animal product would be better for them!

I take your point, though to be fair I believe Science Selective pellets do contain a very small amount of animal protein.

I'm not convinced that rabbits are entirely vegan. A nethie I had as a teenager helped herself to some of the sausage in a hotdog without any ill effect, and don't forget that a stressed doe can eat her own kits without ill effect. I expect that rabbits also consume small insects when eating grass and other plants.

Last edited:
I tried mashing up some banana and mixing the powder in, but it quickly developed an unpleasant, rather musty, smell that Pineapple turned her nose up at. The banana and apple slices approach seem to be working well. She doesn't seem to notice the powder when it's presented in this way.

I'm not convinced that rabbits are entirely vegan. A nethie I had as a teenager helped herself to some of the sausage in a hotdog without any ill effect, and don't forget that a stressed doe can eat her own kits without ill effect. I expect that rabbits also consume small insects when eating grass and other plants.

:lol: I don't think rabbits set out to consume insects! It's probably because the insects are sitting on their favourite leaf and they all go down together!

A stressed doe can eat her own kits, but this is usually in a particular situation of protection, or because there is something wrong with the babies. Not because she is by nature carnivorous.

I have never known of a rabbit who would choose to eat shellfish though! :shock:

Back