• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flo unwell - U/D 31/10 She's home!! :D

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Went out to feed Flo her breakfast at 8.45am. Usually she hears the patio door and runs out to greet me, but she was nowhere in sight which i thought was strange. Went into her hutch, could see her head just popping out of the bed section she was laying flat didn't realise I was there until I called her. She lifted her head slightly - so I opened the bed part of the hutch she was just laying there so out of character. Offered her some parsnip (her fave) and she turned her nose up at it. I quickly ran back into the house, my best friend & housemate (also an RVN) Sam was sat having her breakfast I just said 'Somethings wrong with Flo' and burst into tears. She sprung into action we were due to go horse riding at 9am she cancelled that, she phoned the vet and told me to get Flo in her box and get my bag. I picked up Flo - she didn't struggle and put her in her box.

Took her to vet, said she was cold (36oC) but has gut sounds but abdomen slightly tense, teeth ok - some spurs but not enough to cause this acutely (will need dental in near future), clinical exam fine she hopped a little on the floor.
Now I've got her home for subcut fluids, pain relief (buprenorphine) emeprid and ranitidine, and also syringe feeding of critical care. I've got her inside on a snugglesafe to keep her warm. The house isn't too hot so hopefully that should be ok. The vet wants me to call this afternoon to see how she is, and if she needs to prescribe any oral medications.

I'm so stressed - I keep crying. I was due to go away until Saturday today but had to cancel. Also had to cancel bonding on Saturday. I just want her to be better, I hate seeing her so depressed and unwell :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
*hugs*

You've done everything right and got her on the right course of stuff. If she doesn't pick up this afternoon, she can have another course of gut meds right? When my Bob didn't pick up after his first round of gut meds, I took him back and they put it straight in a vein rather than under the skin, that sorted him right out!

Could the spurs have started to dig in? They may not look big but if they're causing discomfort - that could be it.

I think this time of year is Stasis-o-clock though.

Oh poor Flo. Hopefully the combination of fluids, warmth and appropriate medication will bring about a good recovery. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

*hugs*

You've done everything right and got her on the right course of stuff. If she doesn't pick up this afternoon, she can have another course of gut meds right? When my Bob didn't pick up after his first round of gut meds, I took him back and they put it straight in a vein rather than under the skin, that sorted him right out!

Could the spurs have started to dig in? They may not look big but if they're causing discomfort - that could be it.

I think this time of year is Stasis-o-clock though.

Yeah the vet knew I was an RVN (I knew the other nurse working there today) so has given me the injectable gut meds for later. Injectables work a bit quicker than oral so should help pick her up. If she doesn't they said probably referral to The Beaumont Hospital in Camden Town or another more rabbit savvy vet.
She said that the spurs haven't caused any damage to the cheeks at all, and because it all happened acutely that it is really unlikely to be the cause.

Oh poor Flo. Hopefully the combination of fluids, warmth and appropriate medication will bring about a good recovery. Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Thank you - need all the vibes I can get really :(

Adding vibes for Flo. I had the same thing with Kyla one evening last week. She was flat/belly pressing and her temperature at the vets was 36.2. Brought her in, gave her a Snugglesafe (which she refused to use). She was also due a dental. I do think they maybe start to eat differently when they're building up to a dental, which perhaps gives rise to gut issues. She was fine by the next morning.

Topping up the vibes for Flo.. Really hope she is okay and sending you a hug! I know how horrible and scary it is xxx

Adding vibes for Flo. I had the same thing with Kyla one evening last week. She was flat/belly pressing and her temperature at the vets was 36.2. Brought her in, gave her a Snugglesafe (which she refused to use). She was also due a dental. I do think they maybe start to eat differently when they're building up to a dental, which perhaps gives rise to gut issues. She was fine by the next morning.

It seems weird though, she was absolutely fine yesterday evening - she is so food orientated so ate it like she usually does in 5 mins flat!
Thank you - thats reassuring. Hopefully she will be ok by tomorrow. She seems to have perked up already - she has had a syringe feed of 30mls and ate a couple of apple tree leaves. She is also hopping around a bit so that should get the guts moving too.

It seems weird though, she was absolutely fine yesterday evening - she is so food orientated so ate it like she usually does in 5 mins flat!
Thank you - thats reassuring. Hopefully she will be ok by tomorrow. She seems to have perked up already - she has had a syringe feed of 30mls and ate a couple of apple tree leaves. She is also hopping around a bit so that should get the guts moving too.

Oh I was so sorry to catch up with this and find Flo unwell today :cry:

I hope she warms up .. the fluids will help enormously.

Loads of vibes for getting her better very soon xx

Oh no! I think this might be how Lopsy was when I was away last Christmas, except he had a high temperature :( He was back to his normal chirpy self after about a day, which made medicating difficult! I hope Flo recovers really quick too.

So sorry, hope Flo picks up ok soon. You are not on your own with the tears ! my Toffee stopped eating and pooing 2 days ago, wouldn't even take his beloved Basil. He has to have regular dentals because of his wonky jaw, so the vet booked him in yesterday as an emergency. For some reason I got into such a state, I couldn't drive for crying, so OH took me. When I got there, a different vet admitted him, I couldn't speak to her for sobbing. She just gave me a tissue, and was lovely, really reassuring. I don't know why this time was different, I just thought I was going to lose him, and now he's fine !
It's just how we feel at the time isn't it, and also shows how much we care.
I'm sure Flo is in the best hands and will be fine soon. Xxxx

Thank you - I hope so too. Luckily Sam was there and she just told me what to do while I was sobbing and she drove me. I started sobbing when speaking to the vet as well. Its hard because I've seen rabbits pass away due to stasis. I'm worried I'll loose her...she is literally my everything and I wouldn't know what to do without her.
Yeah she's had her fluids, feeding and is currently sat on her snugglesafe. I just listened and there are gut sounds so fingers crossed we caught it early.

How's she doing?

Has eaten several apple leaves but that's all. Syringe feeding is going ok. She's not struggling when I give her meds or fluids so I think she is still feeling worse for wear. However she seems comfortable currently, she's just flopped out on a squishy bed. Still has gut sounds too.
Due to phone the vet soon (she is there until 7pm) just for an update.

Yeah - Truffle gets stasis about twice a year and it always comes on quickly. Sending more vibes for her and really hope she starts to feel better soon x

Back