• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New boy bonding help please?

Mrs Carr

Warren Scout
So need some advice pretty please?

Buddy our 7 month neutered Lionhead has a new "friend" in Fat Bob (don't ever let your niece give your pet a nickname for a laugh cos it really will stick lol) a 14 week un-neutered Lop ......

We are of course, keeping them housed in separate but adjoining pens for the foreseeable future but we're not quite sure how soon we should attempt a face to face meeting without the bars in between?

So far, Buddy is seemingly very unconcerned for the most part about the newcomer, he'll quite happily chill out right next to Bob's pen, we've had lots of nose touching and sniffing and the ONLY sign of any bickering has been when they both stand up with their front paws on the bars and Buddy has given Bob a nip on the foot......... Bob just wants to play but we just can't be sure if Buddy is being a bit territorial or just being really enthusiastic about the prospect of a playmate.

I'm planning to keep them in separate pens until at least a good few weeks after Bob has had his bits removed but in the meantime are there any signs I should look for as to when we should attempt joint play time?

Any hints? tips?

My advice would be to wait until Bob has been neutered, then a few weeks later you will need to introduce them on neutral territory or they will most likely fight. Even on neutral ground they might not get on, but you might be lucky.

Thanks Toni,

They both seem very relaxed around each other, they'll happily snooze next to each other on their own sides of the bars and we've been feeding them right next to each other so we're hopeful all is looking promising but we'll postpone any plans for a barrier free meeting until Bob is also bit free ........... I'd hate to undo any tentative friendship/tolerance that is there.

Thanks for the advice x

Back