• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two Bored Giants, dig dig digging. Advice appreciated :-)

leannev

New Kit
Hi!

I have two giants. One male; Manny. And One female; Trigger. We purchased them last December when they were 10 weeks, from separate litters (as males and later discovered Trigger was female!)

They have a large run, and a two level hutch (we had to take out the platform however as they're quite tall) They are lkept in there all day until my partner and I return home from work. Then they have two hours minimum free rein of the garden. During that time, all they want to do is eat and DIG. We have so many holes we have to fill in as they obviously like to make tunnels.

We had our first male giant (Rambo) in 2012, but he was put to sleep after picking up myxi. We then had Rocky, who we had until last Nov. He jumped in from his run and paralysed his lower body :cry: .
rayxqd.png
[/IMG]
243jckm.png

Neither of my last two bunnies spent their play time digging hole. Just ate, ran around and bit more people friendly. Now we have two together, we have the digging, and find them to be a bit anti social.

I love them both very much, but I don't know what I can do to occupy them. Can anyone please advise of any tried and tested toys / distractions I can try with Manny & Trigger?
2mfi5hx.png

Thank you for your time :)

Sound like normal bunnies to be honest! Youngsters tend to be more "diggy" than older rabbits. Singles sometimes seem to be friendlier because they bond with a human but really they prefer to be bonded with another bun. It means you have to work for their affection instead - using healthy treats etc. My two spend most of their time tripping me up and come begging for nose rubs. It's just time that you need to get that bond.

What things do they have to play with in their run?

:wave:

Thank you for your response Cat. Happy that this is just the normal behaviour :lol:

We tried one of those straw post things which had a straw carrot hanging etc, they became bored. We had a big tunnel, but they chewed the material. We give them boxes and stuff, which they find amusing and throw in the air.

But so many toys available, I don't know what would pique their interest! I know that healthy treat definitely buys their affection :lol: Always sniffing around when they think they're going to get a little extra :lol:

What beautiful girls!! :love:

I have to say, it sounds normal to me too!!

Another vote for cardboard boxes; may be a big one with a couple of holes cut into it for a "house" and fabric tunnels (even though they get chewed and need frequent replacing....) :lol:

I have to say, I think girl bunnies are more antisocial from my experience :thumb:

I think changing the toys around can help as well. They never remember it's the same cardboard tube that they saw last week (or maybe mine are just particularly dim! :p) so it helps to prevent boredom. Sounds like you have lots of fun things for them to play with already, maybe just try giving them a different selection each day.

Could you make them a digging patch? Hide food in it to encourage them to dig there rather than all over the garden?

Back