• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding has to be done in a completely neutral area, so that neither rabbit regards it as his or her territory.

I suspect that one of the reasons your thread hasn't received replies is that people (me included) are wondering why you wish to breed from your rabbits in a world where there are so many unwanted rabbits - approximately 65,000 - in Rescues, desperate for homes? Added to that is very high risk risk of uterine cancer in unspayed females.

Your choice, of course.

All of the rabbit bonding advice says that bonding is much much more successful if they've been neutered. I imagine your females don't want another rabbit coming into their territory as females are very territorial.
I've not had experience of purposefully breeding rabbits but do they need to be bonded before hand? I had an accidental litter 10 years ago when a friend of mine opened the males pen whilst my female was out and he pretty much just got onto her and then it was all over, they weren't bonded, because they'd just keep having babies (thankfully they only had one baby). I'd be surprised if you had a successful bonding as it can be a struggle to bond neutered rabbits let alone un neutered ones. Plus, wouldn't they need to be seperated if the female had babies? I think if you really want to bond them you need to get them all neutered first

Do you have complete pedigrees for the rabbits you intend to breed? If you don't know their ancestry you're risking genetic problems with the babies.

What breed(s) are the rabbits? I know some breeds are incompatible because their skull shapes are so different, their offspring suffer from serious dental problems. Breeding two dwarf rabbits means that about 25% of the babies will be "peanuts", which never survive.

What do you plan to do with the babies once they are weaned? Can you keep them all? Will you be able to absolutely guarantee they'll go to good homes with knowledgable owners?

What happens if the female suffered complications and dies, leaving you with orphaned kits? Do you know how to hand-rear?

You need to think about temperament too. "Grumpy" doesn't sound like a good trait to pass on to the offspring.

Is the enjoyment of breeding worth the risk of genetic problems, death of the female, death of the kits, uterine cancer because the female isn't spayed, or your babies spending the rest of their lives alone in tiny hutches being ignored by owners who got them for kids who quickly got bored with the cleaning?

I bred a lot of guinea pigs when I used to keep them years ago. I would never do it now.

IF your breeding rabbits then you don't need to bond before hand
On the day you want to breed the doe goes to the bucks hutch for about 15 mins and is then removed, job done
If you've already bred you should know this.

I'm not going back over whatever one else has already said even though I 100% agree with them way to many rabbits already in the world no more are needed.
Personally I'd get all 3 neutered and bond them into a group from then.

Bucks that have been used for breeding know what it's 'for' and as you have a rabbit that's not 100 % right then you don't want him constanly mounting her when it comes to bonding. MUch better to do it with him being gentle.
If your rabbit has had a brain tumour did she have it removed either by an operation or by chemo?

How old are your does out of interest?

Also if you've only just got your buck surely he should be in quaranteen for the next 14 days anyway not getting even more stressed out having moved to a new home and then having random rabbits appearing in his hutch for some reason.

Back