• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forage ID

SJH

Warren Veteran
I'm trying to get the last forage in. Historically, I've avoided a part of a local field because of a hemlock worry but it is an area with a huge amount of plantain too.

I am NOT planning to feed the parsley/hemlock plant but I'd like some ID on it, not least of all to avoid poisoning myself....

I wholly accept the answer might be "don't know".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnily enough when I was foraging today (depressing in autumn I'm finding), next to some plantain was hemlock or cow parsley. I saw quite a good youtube video on identifying the differences that someone on here recommended . Not much help am I:lol:

Yes, fresh food is getting ever more sparse :(

I'll just have to hunt around to avoid this parsley-stuff just in case I guess. I'm sure I probably have already picked a few bits that have been in contact with it :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umbellifers can be really difficult to identify - I usually leave them alone because I'm not at all confident with them. Sorry I can't help!

It looks like cows parsley (not edible for bunnies), hemlock are very similar looking but have purple patches/spots coluring on their green main stem. Hemlock is also poisonous for bunnies.

Cow parsley is edible for buns. The key points for cow parsley are triangular stem, you'll feel a ridge on one side plus no purple blotches and doesn't smell bad. If you're not sure though, I'd leave it

Similar to another thread on here of conflicting information, as I read it was not good. Will stay away just in case tho, my little bunny has a sensitive tummy.

Back