• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding issue HELP

Jambo5638

Young Bun
Hi although I'm new here I'm not new to owning a rabbit I recently lost my first two rabbits due to illness and adopted two older rabbits. The boy has always been alone and the girl was previously bonded with a male and second female. Both have been done. For first couple of days I had them in separate runs but the runs were touching. Things seemed ok they seemed to be looking at each other and sticking noses through bars to each other and this morning I thought I would risk trying a short date so I moved one of the runs to a nuetural area and placed them both in the run she sniffed his bum and he instantly turned on her and they started fighting and fur went everywhere. I separated them right away and checked them over no injuries. Once they went back in runs next to each other they went back to watching and nosing each other. Did I introduce too soon or is it a no go at all for these too? Any help would be massively appreciated. I was spoiled with my first pair it only took the, one day to accept each other but they were both babies and from same place.

It's awful when they fight isn't it. I'm afraid I haven't much advice as I'm currently in the same situation myself. I am trying to arrange for a rescue/someone else to bond my two for me now as I find doing it myself too stressful. If all else fails perhaps you could look into doing that too.

I am in exactly the same situation! So at least you know you're not alone! I put mine back into their runs for a week and then will try again in a different location. I'm going to try a pen in the garage, in the dining room and maybe try the bath if nothing else works. Hopefully someone with experience will come along soon and offer advice!

Hi there! Can you give the rabbits more space - how big is the run? They are fighting because they are in a restricted area, possibly and this is their only way of reacting to the situation. If they had more space what should happen is the female will run away from the male for a day or 2 until they gradually come to trust one another.

I second the above - try a larger area. I know some people swear by bonding in a small space but when I bonded my original pair it just caused them both to get scared and aggressive. As soon as I moved them to a larger area they settled down quickly.

Thanks for the advice the run they had was one of the large folding runs from pets at home but I was thinking the same I might try somewhere else after I have given them sometime to calm down again. Glad to hear I was thinking along same lines as you guys :)

Another vote for big space with plenty of distractions - huge piles of forage works a treat, get them doing normal stuff together. Theres no getting away from bonding being pretty stressful though. Good luck folks

Back