• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help in regards to hutches!!

Personally I am not a fan of any of the chicken coup type hutches/runs.

I would take a look at the Welfare Hutch Company site, as people seem to speak highly of them. The minimum size recommended for any rabbits (from young) is 6ft x 2 x 2 hutch with a permanently attached run of (again, minimum) 8ft x 4ft; the run needs to be at least 2.5 ft high to allow the rabbits to stand on hind legs.

The minimum guidelines issued by RWAF are a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch with an attached run of 8ftx4ftx2.5ft (permanent access needed so will need to be on hard standing of some kind or with mesh dug under the grass).

Ideally I'd go with an aviary style walk in run with a roof either attached to a shed or playhouse or with a hutch inside as these are far easier for us to clean and spend time with our bunnies in.

What you have currently isn't suitable even if they are babies unless it meets the minimum criteria set out by RWAF and neither are either of the ebay hutches you've posted.

Good quality products will last your rabbits lifetime, some of the manufacturers often recommended are Welfare hutches, Ryedale, Boyles pet housing and runaboutruns.

Babsie I had a look on there and I know for sure my hubby will not pay those prices for a hutch.

That's a shame as you really do need those sizes. Also the sayings are true - 'buy cheap, buy twice' and 'you get what you pay for'. People, unfortunately, don't realise that rabbits are not cheap pets to keep: vet bills, good food and good housing all come at a price. I don't know where else to suggest where they have good quality housing but perhaps someone else will come up with some ideas.

The minimum guidelines issued by RWAF are a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch with an attached run of 8ftx4ftx2.5ft (permanent access needed so will need to be on hard standing of some kind or with mesh dug under the grass).

Ideally I'd go with an aviary style walk in run with a roof either attached to a shed or playhouse or with a hutch inside as these are far easier for us to clean and spend time with our bunnies in.

What you have currently isn't suitable even if they are babies unless it meets the minimum criteria set out by RWAF and neither are either of the ebay hutches you've posted.

Good quality products will last your rabbits lifetime, some of the manufacturers often recommended are Welfare hutches, Ryedale, Boyles pet housing and runaboutruns.

We have our hutch stood on concrete now .. so it will be in the same place. That one I linked to has an 8ft run .. not sure on dimensions for the hutch/house bit. I will have a look at the other places you mentioned.

That's a shame as you really do need those sizes. Also the sayings are true - 'buy cheap, buy twice' and 'you get what you pay for'. People, unfortunately, don't realise that rabbits are not cheap pets to keep: vet bills, good food and good housing all come at a price. I don't know where else to suggest where they have good quality housing but perhaps someone else will come up with some ideas.

That one off ebay is very sturdy .. I just think in time will be too small.

Have looked at those hutches .. they are fantastic .. pricey though. Going to have to speak to hubby about it in more depth etc. We won't be able to do it this side of christmas .. we have too many birthdays before and then christmas, its expensive this time of year!!

Have looked at those hutches .. they are fantastic .. pricey though. Going to have to speak to hubby about it in more depth etc. We won't be able to do it this side of christmas .. we have too many birthdays before and then christmas, its expensive this time of year!!

You are going to have to speak to him nicely!

Pets at home bluebell hutch £99.
I use it and I think it's perfect for my two.
It's about 4ft long but two stories high so it's a total of 8ft long.
Mine have Enough space to lie down without being squashed and can easily stand up.
Go check it out
That's the only hutch they have that I believe is just about the right size that they sell
Sometimes they sell it for as low as £80
I keep it indoor so not sure if it's any good for out side due to the rain.
Remember to keep a permanent run with them. Mine are kept free around the house so they just go in at night or when we are out

Aviary panels can be brought reasonably cheaply (make sure you're getting treated hardwood though).

You really have to stress to OH that decent housing will last a life time and the sizes mentioned are the minimum rabbits require and that keeping them in smaller basically amounts to cruelty.

Your OH could always build something for them if he's particularly handy..

Pets at home bluebell hutch £99.
I use it and I think it's perfect for my two.
It's about 4ft long but two stories high so it's a total of 8ft long.
Mine have Enough space to lie down without being squashed and can easily stand up.
Go check it out
That's the only hutch they have that I believe is just about the right size that they sell
Sometimes they sell it for as low as £80
I keep it indoor so not sure if it's any good for out side due to the rain.
Remember to keep a permanent run with them. Mine are kept free around the house so they just go in at night or when we are out

I have been looking at that .. I do quite like it. Hubby could easily build a run around it so they have space to play.

Aviary panels can be brought reasonably cheaply (make sure you're getting treated hardwood though).

You really have to stress to OH that decent housing will last a life time and the sizes mentioned are the minimum rabbits require and that keeping them in smaller basically amounts to cruelty.

Your OH could always build something for them if he's particularly handy..

Hubby is quite handy with woodwork .. he probably could actually quite easily build something!

The idea of a hutch being 6ft long is the amount of hops a rabbit is able to do. So, two levels of 4ft isn't the same as one of 6ft. Not so critical, of course, if rabbits are never locked in the hutch (which they shouldn't be - they should always have access to their run). I would avoid this hutch, anyway, if you want it to last outdoors.

Ahh ok .. I see

Back