• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coccidia! Arggggg!!!!!!

Bunny Boo.

Warren Scout
OMG!!! I will try and keep this as short as i can, Peanut my 4 month old conti had runny poo on tuesday morning so tuesday afternoon i whisked her off to see the vet, the vet decided it was one of two things 1- food intolerance 2- coccidia..... so dropped off some poo samples on wednesday and it turns out she showed positive for coccidia!!!! apart from one morning of two bits of runny poo, the rest where normal,there are no other signs!! she's up to weight, in no pain, eating me out of house and home and full off beans!!!!:shock: so vet has concluded that she has both food intolerance and coccidia!!! so i have stopped all treats/veggies she is only on pellet (ss) and hay.We have had no more runny poo since!!! I have disinfected her hutch scrubbed her bowl and water bottle, removed all turf from her run and replaced with concrete slabs!! and disinfected her litter tray. (i am pooped;)) the vet has prescribed her septrin - 1.4ml twice a day for 10 days, then we will do another poo sample. So my question to you is have i done enough so far? what do i do to clean her runaround tube that connects her hutch to her run? this will not be a easy task so any input will be great! When do i disinfect everything again 2-3 days???? I always clean out all poo and wee every day so she is always clean and dry. I do have have another bunny who has a completely separate setup, she has no signs of anything but i have dropped off poo samples for them to check! I am feeling sad as i am so prestigious in my daily care of my bunny's and i feel I have let her down. Need some good vibes and and advice people can give. :)

Good vibes for you and you bunnies. Don't feel bad, my rabbit had coccidiosis and I had been borderline OCD in keeping her litter / set up clean ( I was completely changing litter twice a day minimum).
Coccidia are hardy little blighters or rather the oocytes (eggs) are. They can tolerate a range of conditions. The vet advised me to use household ammonia to clean down (indoor bun). I also disposed of her litter trays, bowls etc. This might not be practical for you on financial grounds. Others will come along and advise I'm sure, but I think for outdoor hutches there are proprietary cleaners to use to kill coccidia.

There's a post that may help too in the reference section (thanks to Jack's Jane) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...sis-All-Rabbit-Owners-Should-be-Aware-of-This

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I will read through Jack's Jane post. I just want to do the best for my beautiful bunny. I have used diluted jeyes fluid in her hutch (she doesn't go to the toilet in her hutch, only outside in her run where her litter tray is) I have pulled up all the turf in her run and put down slabs so it will be easier to clean, I have thrown away her cardboard tubes and toys. I have cleaned the litter tray with jeyes fluid but will get a new one tomorrow, the only thing now that i need to do is try and clean out her runaround tube that connects the hutch to the run, any ideas anyone???????

Thank you for your reply, I will read through Jack's Jane post. I just want to do the best for my beautiful bunny. I have used diluted jeyes fluid in her hutch (she doesn't go to the toilet in her hutch, only outside in her run where her litter tray is) I have pulled up all the turf in her run and put down slabs so it will be easier to clean, I have thrown away her cardboard tubes and toys. I have cleaned the litter tray with jeyes fluid but will get a new one tomorrow, the only thing now that i need to do is try and clean out her runaround tube that connects the hutch to the run, any ideas anyone???????

Do you have or could you obtain a steam cleaner ? Steam will eradicate coccidia spores without the need to use harsh chemicals. I would be a bit dubious about using Jeyes Fluid on a hutch as the wood will absorb some of it and retain it even if well rinsed and dried. If the Rabbit is a hutch chewer this could be a bit of an issue. However, that is just my opinion, I know others have used a similar product on hutches during a coccidiosis outbreak. I dont know how long you have had Peanut or where she came from. But I would inform the person she came from if you have only had her for a short period of time. The source of the infection might have been from the place Peanut came from and other Rabbits may be effected and if they are sold/rehomed elsewhere they could then infect other Rabbits.

I hope that Peanut will make a good recovery xx

Do you have or could you obtain a steam cleaner ? Steam will eradicate coccidia spores without the need to use harsh chemicals. I would be a bit dubious about using Jeyes Fluid on a hutch as the wood will absorb some of it and retain it even if well rinsed and dried. If the Rabbit is a hutch chewer this could be a bit of an issue. However, that is just my opinion, I know others have used a similar product on hutches during a coccidiosis outbreak. I dont know how long you have had Peanut or where she came from. But I would inform the person she came from if you have only had her for a short period of time. The source of the infection might have been from the place Peanut came from and other Rabbits may be effected and if they are sold/rehomed elsewhere they could then infect other Rabbits.

I hope that Peanut will make a good recovery xx

Thank you for your reply, I'm not a fan of Jeyes Fluid on wooden areas but I read online this was the way to go! I wish i hadn't done this now! I did dilute it but I will try and get a steam cleaner today and use that instead.:) I will give it a go on her runaround tube although its 12ft long so i'm not sure how well this will work!
I've had peanut since she was 8weeks old, she is now 18 weeks should i still contact the breeder? Would she have had it all this time with no signs what so ever? Could she have picked it up here even though she has not been in contact with my other bunny? (Other bunny not showing any signs, have taken a poo sample in) so confused!

Thank you for your reply, I'm not a fan of Jeyes Fluid on wooden areas but I read online this was the way to go! I wish i hadn't done this now! I did dilute it but I will try and get a steam cleaner today and use that instead.:) I will give it a go on her runaround tube although its 12ft long so i'm not sure how well this will work!
I've had peanut since she was 8weeks old, she is now 18 weeks should i still contact the breeder? Would she have had it all this time with no signs what so ever? Could she have picked it up here even though she has not been in contact with my other bunny? (Other bunny not showing any signs, have taken a poo sample in) so confused!

Don't worry about the Jeyes Fluid. It's often used in rescues to clean down in these situations. With the dilution and the tiny tiny amount a rabbit could possibly ingest, there's no danger.

The absolutely most important thing is to clean away any poo, and Jeyes fluid can be useful to do that. I think you've done loads to deal with the situation, and hopefully all will be well with Peanut :D

Neither am I !!

With regards to notifying the Breeder. I always notify a Breeder if a Rabbit I have obtained from them develops any type of illness in the first few weeks after purchase. A reputable Breeder will welcome the information and take any necessary action regarding their own Rabbits. The less reputable Breeders are likely to get defensive and/or offended !

I'm not sure the info would be useful to the breeder at this stage, but no harm in notifying anyway :D

There's some more info here:

http://www.rabbitmatters.com/rabbit-parasites.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

Coccidiosis is a nasty and contagious protozoa which is very hard to kill. It is resiliant against veterinary grade disinfectants such as Virkon and Trigene and so far the only effective solutions are steam cleaning or the use of Jeyes Fluid. Use it diluted and make sure the hutch is well ventilated.

Good luck xx

I'm not sure the info would be useful to the breeder at this stage, but no harm in notifying anyway :D

There's some more info here:

http://www.rabbitmatters.com/rabbit-parasites.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

Coccidiosis is a nasty and contagious protozoa which is very hard to kill. It is resiliant against veterinary grade disinfectants such as Virkon and Trigene and so far the only effective solutions are steam cleaning or the use of Jeyes Fluid. Use it diluted and make sure the hutch is well ventilated.

Good luck xx

So another day of cleaning!! Purchased a steam cleaner (really good one, karcher) so decided to start again, steam cleaned the hutch/food bowl and water bottle. Then steam cleaned the runaround, then steam cleaned the paving slabs in her run, steamed her run water bottle and replaced her litter tray with a new one so in short i've steamed cleaned everything except the bunny!!! :D She's taking her medication like a good girl, for now not sure how long this will last! :roll: So how often do i need to steam clean everything? I always clean them out every day, so do i need to steam Daily? will the eggs that are passed out be dead? She's on septrin for 10 days then i have to take more poo samples in.

So another day of cleaning!! Purchased a steam cleaner (really good one, karcher) so decided to start again, steam cleaned the hutch/food bowl and water bottle. Then steam cleaned the runaround, then steam cleaned the paving slabs in her run, steamed her run water bottle and replaced her litter tray with a new one so in short i've steamed cleaned everything except the bunny!!! :D She's taking her medication like a good girl, for now not sure how long this will last! :roll: So how often do i need to steam clean everything? I always clean them out every day, so do i need to steam Daily? will the eggs that are passed out be dead? She's on septrin for 10 days then i have to take more poo samples in.

Great idea to purchase a steam cleaner - well done!

The advice from my vet was to steam or clean two to three times weekly for a couple of weeks, and then periodically as a precaution.

Great idea to purchase a steam cleaner - well done!

The advice from my vet was to steam or clean two to three times weekly for a couple of weeks, and then periodically as a precaution.

Thanks for your replys MightyMax its great to be able to talk and get advice from someone who has been in my situation! (I assume you have by your reply) if i clean her out everyday as normal and steam clean Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday would this seem like a good plan?

Thanks for your replys MightyMax its great to be able to talk and get advice from someone who has been in my situation! (I assume you have by your reply) if i clean her out everyday as normal and steam clean Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday would this seem like a good plan?

You're very welcome!

Yes that sounds like a good plan ..

In amongst the hundreds of foster bunnies, I have come across quite a few issues, it's fair to say :shock:

Ok, peanut has clocked on to the 'i need to catch you and give you your medicine' scenerio! :roll: its not easy picking up a 4.5kg baby rabbit that knows med's are on the way! My arms and hands are covered in scratches, and she starting to resent me. This is only day 3!!! I'm fully aware this is for her own good but is there a way to make this more pleasurable for the both of us? I hate to see that look of displeasure in her eye when i approach! :(

It isn't easy and the bigger the rabbit the more difficult most likely. Different people use treats like a tiny piece of Weetabix or hidden in a Basil leaf, or mashed into some banana to get the meds in. Hope you can find a way.

Ok, peanut has clocked on to the 'i need to catch you and give you your medicine' scenerio! :roll: its not easy picking up a 4.5kg baby rabbit that knows med's are on the way! My arms and hands are covered in scratches, and she starting to resent me. This is only day 3!!! I'm fully aware this is for her own good but is there a way to make this more pleasurable for the both of us? I hate to see that look of displeasure in her eye when i approach! :(

If she likes the taste of banana, could you get a pouch of Ella's kitchen baby food (bananas) and dip the end of the syringe in it? Perhaps a little in the end of it?

If not bananas, they do apples, pears etc ...

Update on Peanut!

After 10 days on Septrin and steam cleaning every other day and normal clean in between, i finally got to the vet with more poo samples to be tested and the results were GREAT, the poo samples were negative for coccidia. I am so pleased, exhausted;) but very happy..

After 10 days on Septrin and steam cleaning every other day and normal clean in between, i finally got to the vet with more poo samples to be tested and the results were GREAT, the poo samples were negative for coccidia. I am so pleased, exhausted;) but very happy..

Hey, good news eh? Well done you and Peanut :thumb:

Thanks everyone! I am so relieved that we are all clear! was starting to think it was never going to end... I seem to have much better facial skin now!! must be all that steaming!!:lol:I am going to continue with the steam clean maybe a couple of times a month as a regular thing, can't hurt. Peanut is as happy as she has always been, starting to introduce a little veggies back into her diet as we were unsure if she also has a food intolerance so I am watching her closely. :love:

Back