• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnies?

Hi all,

My friend has rescued some bunnies from bad conditions - unfortunately one of the does has had a litter.

I'm interested in giving two of the babies a home (they might be my first ever bunnies!).

I was wondering if there would be any difference in choosing a male or female pair? Also, how might their bond be affected when they get a bit older and go through the 'teenage' phase?

Would it possibly be better to just get one bunny and then bond it with another rescue bunny when he/she has matured and has been neutered?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The easiest to have would be male/female. They will have to be neutered and spayed around 4 months old. I got a brother and sister pair and my vet was happy to do the operation the same day at about 4 months so they wouldn't have to be separated at all. The important thing to remember is they will have to have those operations in order to live a happy life!

The easiest to have would be male/female. They will have to be neutered and spayed around 4 months old. I got a brother and sister pair and my vet was happy to do the operation the same day at about 4 months so they wouldn't have to be separated at all. The important thing to remember is they will have to have those operations in order to live a happy life!

Thank you for your reply. I'm worried that there is still quite a high risk of an unwanted pregnancy though? Also aren't males still fertile several weeks after neutering?

They are yes .. but if she is spayed same day .. it won't matter as there will be nothing there to impregnate. although most suggest to keep them apart for a little bit after op. My two have been done today. They have been separate for a couple of weeks but a week ago he discovered he was a boy and tried it on (they still came inside together up until that point) They still are separate at the minute and will be for a few more days yet until shes healed a bit more. Then I will slowly introduce them back to each other in small doses.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I was thinking of two does but have read they can fall out easily even after they have been spayed, is this true? x

I have worked with rescues for over 20 years, and have bonded hundreds of male/female pairs. I have never had one bonding fail ...

This would be my recommendation!

Back