• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Well ... they have been done!!

Both are home!! Buster is ok .. his normal pooping eating self, stamping his feet etc. Rosie is good, shes nibbled a few bits of hay and taken some pellets from my hand. She had water also but she just wants to flop on her side at the mo and rest. So thats what i'm letting her do. We have pain relief for them both to start tomorrow. They go back to vets in morning to check wounds and then again at 10 days I think it is. Vet said they can go back together now. I gave them a few minutes together and they were happy to see each other. Buster got a little heavy nudging her so I took him away. Bless her she flinches when you touch her so she must be so sore. Keeping Buster away for a few days. If he hadn't been heavy with her then i'd have left them to it. How am I going to get Rosie in the carrier?? I don't want to pick her up in case I hurt her. Buster I managed fine but obviously her surgery is more invasive and a much bigger wound. She kinda just hopped from the carrier to the crate.

If Rosie won't go into the carrier by herself then you will have to gently pick her up. She will have to be handled at the Vets also but the Vet might do that. Hope your Vet's visit goes well.

She hopped into the carrier this morning with a bit of gentle nudging lol!! Both are doing great. They are eating and seem fairly normal. Buster is now outside in the hutch and is loving being back out there. Rosie is moving about more as well. I managed to get a look at her wound and doesn't look too bad. Getting pain relief into them this morning was a challenge .. most of it ended up down them and me! I think we are going to leave them separated for a week or two then work on bonding them again .. i've read best way is to put them in the bath ???

I have never put buns in the bath when bonding, too confined and slippery. I have always given them plenty of room. I put each others droppings in separate litter trays while they are apart, so they get each others smell on their fur.. Have then let one out at a time to see how they behave towards each other through the wire. When I'm happy they are showing no signs of aggression then will let them out together but leave somewhere for them to hide if it gets too stressful.
Make sure buns are well healed as your female has had a huge op.
Good luck with them. xxx

Glad to hear they are recovering well. My Rosie is for her operation on Wednesday, I'm dreading it but needs to be done so I can get her a friend :)

Won't they be ok back together or don't you feel confident about it? I would try them tomorrow unless you feel they will fight.

Won't they be ok back together or don't you feel confident about it? I would try them tomorrow unless you feel they will fight.

I'm worried about her wound .. I don't want her moving about too quick and it opening up (although I guess chances are slim of that happening right??) They both do seem to be healing well .. not really concerned about him as such as his aren't exposed like her wound if that make sense. I have had them together in the lounge today and they are ok if apart from each other. When they get to close they are sniffing (mostly the wounds .. I guess it smells like the vets etc) and then they are chasing, nudging and in some cases nipping. I just mainly don't want her doing to much vigorous movements. They are only 3 days after op .. vet did say they could go back together ... but i'm worried about the fighting. Also as well I have NO idea on how to rebond rabbits .. these are our first rabbits. Do I leave them to it within reason??

I have never put buns in the bath when bonding, too confined and slippery. I have always given them plenty of room. I put each others droppings in separate litter trays while they are apart, so they get each others smell on their fur.. Have then let one out at a time to see how they behave towards each other through the wire. When I'm happy they are showing no signs of aggression then will let them out together but leave somewhere for them to hide if it gets too stressful.
Make sure buns are well healed as your female has had a huge op.
Good luck with them. xxx

This is my worry with putting them back together .. her wound because its much more larger and invasive than his .. and more exposed. Its the movements of her running away etc ... I really don't want that wound to re-open. But also worried the longer they are left apart the harder it will be to get them back together!!

If you could put them together in a restricted space, like a cage, they should settle down with one another and just sit quietly. You will be able to judge whether it is safe to leave them together. I am glad they are recovering well :thumb:

If you could put them together in a restricted space, like a cage, they should settle down with one another and just sit quietly. You will be able to judge whether it is safe to leave them together. I am glad they are recovering well :thumb:

Rosie (or Bon Bon as hubby now calls her) is currently in a dog crate in our lounge .. would that be ok?? even though everything is her smell?? She only has old towels down and a litter tray .. could easily wash them and change litter tray ?? Or just leave it as it is?? Do you think it may be worth bringing buster in for a few days with her so they have no choice but to get on with it ??

Personally I think they would be better off together - you can always separate them but why should it not work. The longer you leave it then it could be harder to get them together again.

Ok .. i'll put them together then and leave them to it. I may just leave them inside a few days together till I know for sure that they will be ok together. They have been apart 2 or 3 weeks now.

Ok they are in together in the crate, I took out the litter tray because I had visions of litter flying everywhere. They did a good 5/10 minutes of Buster chasing her round and round the cage. She has just led down in one corner and he keeps sniffing her and laying next to her and stamping his feet .. basically I assume hes the dominat one and hes just proved it. This is good right?? I mean shes in one corner and hes doing his own thing .. they are not chasing or nipping so thats a bonus right ??

Back