• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recently neutered male pair fighting

Code

New Kit
Hello everyone,

We've two 6 month old males, who were neutered 3 weeks ago. They're unrelated, but have been together since we got them at 5 weeks old.

We've had little trouble with them up until yesterday, when they decided to have a massive brawl at 7am! They were really going at it, quite scary to see, and fur everywhere. Since then, we've had them separated. We tried reintroducing them together in the garden as they usually enjoy bounding around together, but they went for each other after just a couple of minutes :( Now they have separate caged areas in the same room - they can still see each other and seem OK with that, and will even lie down next to the same bit of fence.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what the next step to take is, if it's possible to re-bond them? Should we keep them separate for a few more weeks before trying again?

Hiya.. Hormones could still be coursing for up to 4/5 weeks after neutering... Its likely they're still hormonal... I would try to rebond in a few weeks , in a neutral space where neither have been....

All the very best, i hope things go well

Fee x

It's possibly the fact that they have been neutered which has altered their hierarchy in some way. My best advice is to keep them apart now for a few weeks and reintroduce them in a totally new area to them, keeping them there for a week or so (unless they start to fight) before putting them back in their normal area.

If they start fighting again then it might not be possible for them to be bonded again. But you might be lucky :thumb:

Hello everyone,

We've two 6 month old males, who were neutered 3 weeks ago. They're unrelated, but have been together since we got them at 5 weeks old.

We've had little trouble with them up until yesterday, when they decided to have a massive brawl at 7am! They were really going at it, quite scary to see, and fur everywhere. Since then, we've had them separated. We tried reintroducing them together in the garden as they usually enjoy bounding around together, but they went for each other after just a couple of minutes :( Now they have separate caged areas in the same room - they can still see each other and seem OK with that, and will even lie down next to the same bit of fence.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what the next step to take is, if it's possible to re-bond them? Should we keep them separate for a few more weeks before trying again?

Welcome to the Forum Code :wave:

I'm sorry you've had this issue with your rabbits. Male pairings can be quite difficult to maintain, especially through the castration stage. With males, it can take up to three months for hormones to settle and them to feel a bit easier with each other. However, once they have fought, it may be they will not get back together again.

However, to give it the best chance of them both having company, why not try again in a couple of months or so? Keeping them within sight of one another in the meantime?

Thanks for the advice everyone, and the welcome :) Glad it seems like there is a chance they could settle down and reunite! We will try them again in a new area in a couple of weeks and let you know how it goes.

We have them in sight of each now - one is in the hutch/run, the other in a pen, with roughly the same amount of space. Would it be a good idea to switch them around so they don't get too territorial over their separate area? They previously shared the whole area.

I am not a fan of swapping areas myself and as They have a fantastic sense of smell know the other rabbit is there. Also the dominant one might claim both areas which would create more tension, maybe. I would let everything calm down now before trying again.

Thanks for the advice everyone, and the welcome :) Glad it seems like there is a chance they could settle down and reunite! We will try them again in a new area in a couple of weeks and let you know how it goes.

We have them in sight of each now - one is in the hutch/run, the other in a pen, with roughly the same amount of space. Would it be a good idea to switch them around so they don't get too territorial over their separate area? They previously shared the whole area.

I think it's fine to swop areas, if it's convenient to do so. However, it doesn't really affect the outcome when you try and bond them - IE it doesn't really make it any easier to bond because you've done it (if that makes any sense!)

Quick update everyone!

We tried them together again at the weekend following 2 weeks of separation, in a room they've never been in together before. They spent about 10 minutes exploring the room with some minor interaction, then there was a couple of aggressive signs - a bit of chasing and darting movements from one to the other like he was about to attack, but it didn't escalate into a full out fight like last time. We split them up again before it could escalate though, so probably only 15 minutes together. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I'm relieved that they didn't start an immediate 'fight to the death'!

Plan now is to try them together again next weekend, which will have been a full 6 weeks since the neutering.

Each time you put them together they will have to re-establish their hierarchy. It is best to keep them together once you have put them together. One of the boys will be the dominant one . :thumb:

I would keep them apart for another month to give their hormones chance to settle. If you keep trying, before their hormones have died down, you risk spoiling any chance of re-bonding.

Back