• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Hobson....

My poor boy is still having problems with a bladder infection that started last Saturday. He was covered in very strong wee and all round his 'privates' was very very red and sore! I was in total shock at the speed that this started. Off to the vet who gave Baytrill pain killers etc and then back home. He responded quickly and by Sunday night he was much brighter and eating a little more than he was however, day by day he's getting worse and we're now force feeding as he's hardly eaten anything since last night. He's off back to the vet today. I'm pretty sure he's not getting on with the antibiotic and it's upsetting him, is there another one I should ask the vet for as this is the only one I know of? His private area isn't as red or as sore but he's still very tender in that area especially to one side. I'm really hoping it's nothing serious but I know the vet will take good care of him as she's great with my bunnies. Unfortunately she wasn't on duty last Saturday when all this started.

If you can send any vibes to Hobson I'd be really grateful, he's 4yrs old (mini lop) and never had anything wrong with him before.

Poor Hobson :( Sending lots of vibes xxx Let us know how you get on at the vet - sounds like he's in good hands!

My poor boy is still having problems with a bladder infection that started last Saturday. He was covered in very strong wee and all round his 'privates' was very very red and sore! I was in total shock at the speed that this started. Off to the vet who gave Baytrill pain killers etc and then back home. He responded quickly and by Sunday night he was much brighter and eating a little more than he was however, day by day he's getting worse and we're now force feeding as he's hardly eaten anything since last night. He's off back to the vet today. I'm pretty sure he's not getting on with the antibiotic and it's upsetting him, is there another one I should ask the vet for as this is the only one I know of? His private area isn't as red or as sore but he's still very tender in that area especially to one side. I'm really hoping it's nothing serious but I know the vet will take good care of him as she's great with my bunnies. Unfortunately she wasn't on duty last Saturday when all this started.

If you can send any vibes to Hobson I'd be really grateful, he's 4yrs old (mini lop) and never had anything wrong with him before.

Poor Hobson :cry: Has he been receiving regular pain relief, not just a one off dose given on the intitial Vet consultation ? Bladder infections can be very painful as the bladder wall can become very inflammed. A Rabbit in pain wont eat which will then cause GI tract slow down/gut stasis.

What antibiotic is he on ?

Has the Vet ruled out the presence of 'Bladder Sludge'- a build up of calcium deposits in the bladder which can result in both infection and inflammation.

Is he drinking well ? Sometimes fluid therapy (IV or SQ) can be useful to make the urine very dilute and less painful to pass whilst the abx get on top of the actual infection.

Hope he will feel a lot better soon xx

Hi Jane, he's on metacam once a day 0.6ml and baytrill 1.1ml once a day. Vet said she will xray to see if there are any stones/problems etc. He's taken his force feeds really well and I've given him 1.1ml emeprid twice a day but when he refused his night time piece of apple I knew he must be feeling really very rough. I'll be so pleased to get him back to the vet. Really keeping everything crossed, he's such a lovely soppy boy I hate to see him look so uncomfortable.

Hi Jane, he's on metacam once a day 0.6ml and baytrill 1.1ml once a day. Vet said she will xray to see if there are any stones/problems etc. He's taken his force feeds really well and I've given him 1.1ml emeprid twice a day but when he refused his night time piece of apple I knew he must be feeling really very rough. I'll be so pleased to get him back to the vet. Really keeping everything crossed, he's such a lovely soppy boy I hate to see him look so uncomfortable.

It sounds as though he is in good hands and I really hope that he will soon be on the mend xx

Depending on his weight, you could ask your vet about giving him that dose of Metacam twice daily. It may help with the pain of a bladder infection. Has he had the bacteria from his urine cultured? It may help to see what's going on there, if he hasn't ...

I hope he will be OK and that your vet looks after him well (as do you!).

Good luck xx

Many thanks for all your replys. I'm sure the vet will take a sample of some sort today as I've a feeling he'll be admitted which is fine. I'd miss him terribly at home but my vets have an amazing hospital area with 24/7 care so he really couldn't be in a better place. I'm also going to ask if I can up the pain killer dose too as it really doesn't seem to be helping.

I'll keep you all updated later when I'm back from the vet :wave:

Hobson was admitted last night as the vet could feel 'something' in his bladder so he's having blood tests, urine sample and an xray today. I spoke to the vet this morning and he's had a comfy night now he's on stronger pain killers although he's still not eating much but taking his force feeds really well. all the nurses love him as his been so good and has been so adorable, he really is a bit of a 'cuddle pud'!! I'm so proud of my lad as this is the first time he's been admitted and stayed at the vet, just love him so much :love:

I'll update shortly with more news, lets hope is all good

Not the best news as Hobson's blood tests show kidney issues. He's coming home with some meds to help him and the vet said to see how he goes. I didn't catch the name of the drug but I'm sure it began with an F? I'm so upset as we only lost Pixie a couple of weeks ago and now Hobson is bad. I really hope upon hope the new meds help him be more comfortable.

I will keep a very close eye on him day by day and go from there. Poor darling, he's only 4 and never been ill.

He'll have lots of cuddles tonight that's for sure. :love:

Me too, so long as he's eating, pooping and happy that'll be great although it may take a while for him to get there but we'll do all we can for him and carry on treating him like the little star he is :love:

Not the best news as Hobson's blood tests show kidney issues. He's coming home with some meds to help him and the vet said to see how he goes. I didn't catch the name of the drug but I'm sure it began with an F? I'm so upset as we only lost Pixie a couple of weeks ago and now Hobson is bad. I really hope upon hope the new meds help him be more comfortable.

I will keep a very close eye on him day by day and go from there. Poor darling, he's only 4 and never been ill.

Fortekor probably.

Has the Vet ruled out bladder sludge/stones/kidney stones ?

I hope Hobson will feel better within himself soon xx

Yes, that's the drug. the vet was waiting for more results to come through and will take me through the whole diagnosis when I collect him later. I really hope the drug helps him and that it makes him feel better quickly : ) x

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have had buns on Fortekor - it's about the best remedy there is for kidney issues, along with plenty of fluids (sub cut preferably).

Did the vet say what he thought may have caused it? E.C. is often a culprit :evil:

Poor Hobson - he's gone : (

I'm in pieces and struggling to come to terms with losing another lovely bunny only a few weeks after Pixie. We collected Hobson from the vet Friday night after his tests. Came home with all the usual meds including the Forkeor which he took really well. He was still unwell but the vet thought he would perk up at home. Saturday morning he was much worse and had hardly moved all night. He as still peeing on himself (not eating much at all and hardly any poops) and although we'd cleaned him up the night before he as very wet and sore. Not only that by he was peeing blood too and very lethargic and not moving around easily at all. We took him back to the vet who said they could take him in for fluids but she also said they may help for a few days or a few months there's just no way of knowing. I feel awful as I made the decision to let him go as he was so poorly I really didn't want him to suffer any longer if the prognosis was only a 'maybe he'll be ok'. Although if he'd had fluid therapy which may have helped in the end we would be in the same situation. I really feel I didn't give him a chance but I really didn't want him to suffer any longer as he'd been getting worse all week. I'm really sorry for this long post but did I do the right thing, bit late now I know but I'm just in bits wondering if only or if I'd done this or that it's pulling me apart. The vet said it was kidney failure as no stones or other problems were found on the xray. There's something else too we'd found a half eaten mushroom in his run and now I'm wondering if this was the cause or added to his problems which I'm feeling horrid about as I should have seen this but he was under some leaves fallen form the tree so it was missed. Poor Hobson I know he's at peace now but oh goodness me this is so hard.

I'm so sorry Hobson has gone :cry:

I know it's probably little comfort to you at the moment but you really did all you could to get him better, but sometimes they can get these awful illnesses that just overwhelm their little bodies :( Making the decision to PTS is really hard but, given the prognosis, I think if I'd been in your position I would have done the same. I know it's very hard for you at the moment but you made a very hard decision out of love and compassion for little Hobson.

Binky free Hobson :love:

Thank you so much for your kind reply, it's very sweet of you. I think we're all in shock as it all happened so quickly but for Hobson he's at peace now. He had a lovely life full of love and cuddles and treats too. I'll miss him so much.

Back