• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive female in bonding

Hi 'help me'!

I am interested in your story as I have 2 bunnies boy and girl who I am desperately trying to bond and they having none of it! I am totally with you how stressful it is, I bought them for my children reading boy and girl are best together after neutering. So we had them from 12 weeks now they are 26 weeks and been neutered for 2 weeks now. I've spent weeks desperate for them to be together (i was a little nieve as didn't realise how long the process would take) but I put them together just on our laps and it was so cute, they sat eating their food together.. Day 2 I put them on the hallway floor small area they'd never been and they were fine, a few grunts from her but no problems. Day3 I put them on grass in the run that they both have used regularly on their own. And after 3 minutes they had a massive fight and like you say hair everywhere.!! Now I don't know what to do.. My husband is saying if they can't live together then they are gonna have to go as we are paying two lots of bedding, cleaning two Hutches etc.. But I want to persevere and make them get on. It's so scary when they get fighting isn't it! Please can you advise how your two get on and what the lady does to help them get on, I really hope she is successful with yours X

Hi there. You must put them both in an area where neither has been before, in particular your female rabbit. Try to choose an area where they can spend a few days together before returning them to their original housing. It is most likely territory that they are fighting over. Females are very territorial! Good luck and keep us posted.

Update!
My two have been bonded about 6 weeks now. It's generally going well but there have been set backs and I'm not sure how compatible they are really but there are tender moments! Unfortunately however, having access to a new, large run upset the balance and I am having to deal with a very nasty bite that she inflicted on him whilst I assume they were sorting out territory. V expensive vet trip! He seems fine but it looks awful!! But then today they were snuggling and licking heads lots!! She is such a moody b!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Don't understand some of these females, anyway glad they are getting along most of the time!

The vet said his bite has got infected and there's a possibility it will get into the blood stream and kill him. It's awful. I wonder if she is one of those rabbits who was best off on her own. Or maybe he wasn't right for her. They do have tender moments and she is calmer and friendlier since the bond but this bite she inflicted on him could kill him! It's hard to know what to do! I've considered trying to rehome her elsewhere and getting him back to health then retrying with a calmer female. I just don't know. Gonna see if he pulls through first.

That is so sad. Have you started a new thread regrding the infected wound? as I have never heard of that before - someone might be able to advise you. I do hope he gets better and as for whether they will be happy with no more aggression from her, I don't know. I have quite a few singles due to their feistiness and would love to see them happily bonded but it's not to be.

Just read through from beginning and was wondering was it the next door's rabbit which made her bite him?

Just read through from beginning and was wondering was it the next door's rabbit which made her bite him?

Possibly. I wasn't there when it happened so can't be sure but it is a possibility.

Can I ask, how did you know your feisty buns were better off alone? I'm now reassessing my set up and wondering I'd it'd be better for him to be apart from her. Maybe have adjoining runs so that I could rebond (??).them in the future... Sigh. It's so hard to know what to do.

Well they keep on attacking the male so I don't tend to persevere with it. Most of my rabbits are happily paired off, it's just a small number of girls. Personally I would give your 2 another chance, if it was next door's rabbit which upset them you need to do more to stop him coming in. I suppose he's lonely! Have you separated them while he recovers or are they still together? It is hard at times to know what's best. Back to my rabbits, my single girls seem quite happy but they do miss out on having that close relationship with another rabbit. I wish I could study them in the wild to try to understand them more.

I found that my male beat up his female (until she went inside) when another male came close to the run, poor girl! Perhaps they should be securing their garden!

It's the dominant rabbit which usually attacks the other one and even a couple of my happiest pairs can do it.

I've put them in separate areas of the run but they can still smell, see and lick each other. They stay mostly side by side! When I let them out together, she licked him! Now I'm wondering if they were better together! She is so funny! Meanie one minute, affectionate the next! I just need his wound to heal.... It's still not looking good. I'm sure going to buy some more Manuka honey and some gauzes today and the strongest tape to see if I can keep a dressing on him as being open to the elements and outside is not helping at all I don't think. :-(

I really do hope you can get on top of his wound, that is priority for now, but if next door's rabbit keeps getting in this will happen again when they go back together.

Back