• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 years on and I still feel so upset...Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

lomset92

New Kit
My first post, new to the forums, but felt I needed to to post about my bunny.

At the beginning of this month it was 2 years since my first bunny Buttons was PTS due to recurrent stasis - I only had him for 5 weeks and he had stasis 4 times, at week intervals. He also had 2 dentals at my local vet practice in 2 weeks as his molars were so bad. That unfortunately did not stop the stasis recurring so I believe there must have been another reason for his stasis but he really was suffering so the vet believed it was kinder to let him go.

I was speaking to a lady who runs a rabbit rescue the other day on the phone about stasis and she explained how there are really a million and one different causes for stasis so it can be very difficult to determine the underlying cause.

I just wondered what advice/experience you all have on recurrent stasis. I always wonder if I did really do the right thing for buttons - it makes me so sad to think I could have done more - but my mum, boyfriend and good friend (who is a vet) all said he was very poorly. He was from the RSPCA so had an unknown history and think he had an extended recovery after his castration as well.

Any help, advice or comforting words are welcomed. I just think maybe talking to people who are very like minded and know and understand bunnies will help me come to terms with my loss. I now currently have 4 bunnies who I rescued after he passed away who are all happy and healthy. I just wish he was still with me.

Thanks,

Lauren

Losing a bun is never easy and I'm very sorry for your loss :-( stasis is a nasty one and can be so touchy, but it does sound like pts was the best option. You just need to take solace in the fact that your baby passed knowing love and that you did everything you possibly could have.
Welcome to the forum and its splendid that you took in more buns despite having a tumultuous time with your first.

My first post, new to the forums, but felt I needed to to post about my bunny.

At the beginning of this month it was 2 years since my first bunny Buttons was PTS due to recurrent stasis - I only had him for 5 weeks and he had stasis 4 times, at week intervals. He also had 2 dentals at my local vet practice in 2 weeks as his molars were so bad. That unfortunately did not stop the stasis recurring so I believe there must have been another reason for his stasis but he really was suffering so the vet believed it was kinder to let him go.

I was speaking to a lady who runs a rabbit rescue the other day on the phone about stasis and she explained how there are really a million and one different causes for stasis so it can be very difficult to determine the underlying cause.

I just wondered what advice/experience you all have on recurrent stasis. I always wonder if I did really do the right thing for buttons - it makes me so sad to think I could have done more - but my mum, boyfriend and good friend (who is a vet) all said he was very poorly. He was from the RSPCA so had an unknown history and think he had an extended recovery after his castration as well.

Any help, advice or comforting words are welcomed. I just think maybe talking to people who are very like minded and know and understand bunnies will help me come to terms with my loss. I now currently have 4 bunnies who I rescued after he passed away who are all happy and healthy. I just wish he was still with me.

Thanks,

Lauren

Oh Lauren, I'm so sorry you lost Buttons :cry: The first bunny we lose is almost always the hardest.

The lady you spoke to about stasis was quite right. I have so many times told people that stasis - although it has a cause - is often a symptom of something, but we never find out what it is. It's often impossible to find out what the problem was.

Buttons had two dentals in two weeks - presumably under general anaesthetic? It's a lot for a little one to go through, but obviously without decent teeth he wasn't going to be able to eat properly. You did the right thing.

Guilt is a part of grief. With loving an animal comes the pain of feeling we should have done more, or done things differently. It's because you care that you still feel this pain.

Poor Buttons sounds like he didn't have much of a chance with his health issues, but you gave him love. You loved him enough not to let him suffer any more. That's deserving of great respect in my book.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I hope you'll stick around and tell us more about your four bunnies, and perhaps post photos! xx

Hi Lauren and welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm so sorry you lost Buttons :cry: Unfortunately I can't offer any advice or experience on recurrent stasis but I do understand the overwhelming sadness you're feeling having lost my own beloved bunny just over a month ago. I think it's very common when grieving for a much loved pet to look backwards and wonder if we should have done things differently. Unfortunately we're always constrained by the knowledge and information we have at the time. You clearly did everything you could for Buttons, you got him prompt veterinary treatment and tried to address the underlying cause of his recurrent stasis. Ultimately you made a very difficult decision out of love, kindness and compassion for him.

I found this forum an enormous comfort after I lost my Scrappy. I found it helped just talking to people who understand the pain of losing a beloved bunny after devoting so much love, time and care to them. If you feel able, please post any photos or stories you have of Buttons. It would be a lovely memorial to a much loved bunny. xx

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. And massive thank you for all of your kind words. All of your comments have made me feel a bit better. We care for our bunnies so much, and they are amazing little creatures. Even if their time with us is short, nothing is quite like the love of a bunny!

If I can face it I will try to find a couple of pictures of Buttons and post them in the near future. X

I am sorry. All I can say re doubts that PTS was the right thing, is that bunnies can't think of a time when they might be better, to help them through illness as humans do. For them it is just suffering that they are experiencing and they don't know of a way out. It must be so horrible, so I reckon you did the right thing.

Back