• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Bonds Help

I've had a female neutered rabbit for one year now. I recently brought a male rabbit and he has been living in a cage next door for about 4 weeks, I've now had him neutered and he has recovered well. I brought them both into my house this evening and they played together for a long time. The female seemed the more dominate at first I put out some veg and she was somewhat bossy about it. The male humped the female for a while, the wrong way round but defiantly humping. She wasn't bothered the first time but he kept going back for more and she kept running off. Is this a bad sign? I sat with them for a while after this and put them both away in their separate cages after they had chilled out. Should wait longer as the male was only neutered 12 days ago? Any replies much appreciated. Thanks

No, your female rabbit running away is a good sign, it means she is sibmitting to him rather than being aggressive. Quite often when we bring a male into a female's environment she is so territorial that any chance of bonding them is slim but you seem to be very lucky. I would keep on as you are don't waste too much time between meetings as she might think oh I don't want this intruder in my space! There is usually a lot of competition when feeding them so try scattering the food quickly before they get to chasing one another. Good luck with the bonding.

I've had a female neutered rabbit for one year now. I recently brought a male rabbit and he has been living in a cage next door for about 4 weeks, I've now had him neutered and he has recovered well. I brought them both into my house this evening and they played together for a long time. The female seemed the more dominate at first I put out some veg and she was somewhat bossy about it. The male humped the female for a while, the wrong way round but defiantly humping. She wasn't bothered the first time but he kept going back for more and she kept running off. Is this a bad sign? I sat with them for a while after this and put them both away in their separate cages after they had chilled out. Should wait longer as the male was only neutered 12 days ago? Any replies much appreciated. Thanks

If your male was neutered only a short time ago, it will be some weeks before his hormones subside, and he may always have the urge/ddesire to hump. This is normal.

I would watch if he keeps on humping her the wrong way round, as she may get a bit irritated and throw him off with a nip to his undercarriage :shock:

It's always best to put them together on neutral territory (or well cleaned un-neutral territory) as a female can get possessive of her area. I go for the 'put them together and let them sort it out in one go' approach (but bonding rabbits for rescue/rehoming I have to do it that way). But they way you are working with them, it will take much longer to get them happy together.

Back