• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to bond two un neutered sisters

tbunka

New Kit
Hi
We bought two sister rabbits 5 weeks apart. At the moment they are in separate, but adjoining runs. At night we bring them inside the house, again in separate houses. Every evening we place them in the hall for a 'bonding session'. They appear to get along nicely, grooming & cuddling each other. However, when we try to introduce them to a new neutral run, they fight. I realise it is early days, but is there any hope of them becoming friends without getting them neutered?
Thanks
tbunka

Hi
We bought two sister rabbits 5 weeks apart. At the moment they are in separate, but adjoining runs. At night we bring them inside the house, again in separate houses. Every evening we place them in the hall for a 'bonding session'. They appear to get along nicely, grooming & cuddling each other. However, when we try to introduce them to a new neutral run, they fight. I realise it is early days, but is there any hope of them becoming friends without getting them neutered?
Thanks
tbunka

I'm guessing they are not old enough to be spayed yet? That should help with the bonding, though two girls (in my experience of bonding loads of bunnies) is a hard bond to make work!

I would expect 2 un-neutered female rabbits to fight when they hit puberty - whether they are related or not. They will need neutering, then allow time for the hormones to settle, then bond them. If they are happy next to each other or supervised together, it may help with the bonding later - but I would not risk leaving them together if they start showing any signs of fighting. If they are litter sisters, you should be able to get them neutered at the same time, which would reduce the overall time before they are together.

Un-neutered female rabbits are prone to uterine cancer at an early age, and can get very stroppy anyway - both good reasons for neutering our pets.

Hi
They are just over 3 months old. At what age can I think about getting them neutered? With their erratic on/off friendship, I don't feel I could ever trust them together - I'd be afraid they would fight unexpectedly.

Hi
They are just over 3 months old. At what age can I think about getting them neutered? With their erratic on/off friendship, I don't feel I could ever trust them together - I'd be afraid they would fight unexpectedly.

They can be neutered between 4/5 months, depending on their weight and sexual maturity.

Shame they won't make a partnership ... I know what you mean about it being risky x

Back