• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help/advice needed PLEASE!!! Single boy bunny 🐰

Hi everyone,

I have a gorgeous dwarf lion head/lop boy bunny who is around 8months old. I bought him from a pet shop (sorry). He was on his own as his mate bullied him & they had to split them up.
The pet shop told me he had to be on his own but I would like some advice from other people please.

He is such a sweet & friendly rabbit and I feel sorry for him just being on his own. I've read that Rabbits have happier lives in pairs. We have large pen for 2 tortoises so during the summer he has had lots of company from them. But we have just hibernated them this morning! We also have 2 cats who give him attention & they play together. But during the winter months I can't help thinking a little friend would keep him company & they could snuggle up together?

I would be more than happy to rehome a rescue rabbit/ older rabbit if this is the correct thing to do for Billy Bob (that's his name if you haven't guessed already).

Many thanks in advance!

Ellie X

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.:wave:

Im sure Billybob would definitely benefit from having a bunny friend and if you go to a good rescue they will bond Billybob for you which takes away that stress for you!(Its often not easy)
Most rabbits love company of their own kind to snuggle and communicate with and as you say he will have a friend to share body warmth.Mine love their bunny pals to play with and its lovely seeing how happy they are together!

Good luck with this.I hope it goes well and Billybob finds a lovely wife:)

Yes a spayed female is best.Again a good rescue would have all their bunnies neutered and as long as Billybob is also neutered that wouldn't be a problem.If hes still entire I would firstly get him castrated at a good rabbit vet and then approach a rescue.They would be able to advise you on timing etc.
There are many benefits to getting a rescue bunny but most of all knowing you have provided a little fluff in need with a forever home!!

Are you in the UK?

Last edited:
Hi - thanks again for all your help.
Billy Bob isn't neutered yet but I will be booking an appointment at the vets this week to discuss.
I'm in the UK & have been looking at some of the rescue centres who have lots of female rescue bunnies. We already have 2 rescue cats & 2 tortoises so I will definitely be going to a rescue centre.
Thanks again! I feel so much happier knowing I am doing the right thing for Bob!

He sounds gorgeous and I think you are right...my bunnies adore each other and would be ever so lonely without their own bunny friend.

Id find a reputable rabbit rescue who does the following:

Ensures all their rabbits are neutered & vaccinated (Ive know of rescues who just rehome their rabbits without home check, vaccinations or neutering...just aweful)
They do home checks to ensure the rescue bunny is going to a suitable environment & I find this helpful for yourself too as often they can advise on things that will make your own rabbits happier)
Enables you to take Billybob to the rescue to meet & choose his own wifeybun. very important that you are able to tell them about Billybobs character and your home setup and the environment the new bunny would fit into..and that the rescue know their own rabbits and can offer options that would suit Billybobs and your lifestyle and be a happy bun in their new environment.
Do a lifetime support: all rescue bunnies who are no longer able to for whatever reason stay at their new home will be taken back into the rescue. (You obviously hope this would not have to happen but it ensures that the rescue really cares about the lifetime of their rabbits and if your bunny suddenly didnt get on or there were fights etc there was an option and support for you to turn to)

A spayed doe (female) would be best suited for him..often best male/female pairs...

good luck :)

you should also be given advise on how to neutralise the environment that they will live in so its new for both of them and not just Billybobs home.

aaah Ive just seen Billybob is not neutered...so best to get that sorted first. Ensure an exotics vet carries out the operation.

Make him a packed lunch with his favourite foods and herbs forages plants etc to encourage him to eat after the op
Also a fleece blanket with his own scent on will make him feel safer after the op with all the strange hospital smells.

Back