• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips on bonding/taming

Does anyone have any really good tips for bonding/ taming a rabbit. I have had him for ages but whenever I make progress it always seems to be ruined by my needing to pick him up to put him on the grass or bring him inside. He is a bit afraid. What can I do to change this and get a good bond with him?

Can you try coaxing him into a carrier? That's probably less stressful than picking him up.

I'm not recommending this to anyone who isn't already actively training their rabbits, but I've just started desensitising my two to being handled. Neither are keen on being picked up and usually move away if you attempt head strokes, but after three days we're at the stage where I can put my hands on them as if I'm going to pick them up (but not actually lift) without much reaction as long as I'm stuffing their face with food at the same time. My aim is to get them so they easily tolerate necessary handling, vet examinations, etc.

I think my first step with your rabbit would be to bribe him with treats, pellets, whatever he really likes. Spend some time with him without trying to touch or pick him up - just sit there ignoring him with food next to you or in your hand or in your lap.

Back