• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New owners to a scared bunny

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all! I'm looking for a little advice while we gain trust from our new bunny.

We adopted our rabbit 2 weeks ago. His previous owners had him as part of a bonded pair, but his buddy passed away. His owners couldn't didn't have time to care for him afterwards, so gave him up for adoption. He was in the adoption centre for about a month when we decided to adopt him, but I think it was a lot of change in a short space of time!

So far he's been quite a scared bunny, and still hides any time we enter the room (indoor bunny). He will eat from our hand, but runs away when we try to touch him. I managed to stroke him a little, but we've had a few setbacks - a few things spooked him.

We were told it was important to pick him up at least once a day, and to feel his stomach for any problems, but we also know it's important to let him approach us at his own pace. So which is more important? Picking him up for a health check, or letting him come to trust us naturally? I ask, because at this rate I think it will be another few weeks before he trusts us that much, and I wouldn't want to miss anything... I don't have any cause for concern at the moment.

Hi all! I'm looking for a little advice while we gain trust from our new bunny.

We adopted our rabbit 2 weeks ago. His previous owners had him as part of a bonded pair, but his buddy passed away. His owners couldn't didn't have time to care for him afterwards, so gave him up for adoption. He was in the adoption centre for about a month when we decided to adopt him, but I think it was a lot of change in a short space of time!

So far he's been quite a scared bunny, and still hides any time we enter the room (indoor bunny). He will eat from our hand, but runs away when we try to touch him. I managed to stroke him a little, but we've had a few setbacks - a few things spooked him.

We were told it was important to pick him up at least once a day, and to feel his stomach for any problems, but we also know it's important to let him approach us at his own pace. So which is more important? Picking him up for a health check, or letting him come to trust us naturally? I ask, because at this rate I think it will be another few weeks before he trusts us that much, and I wouldn't want to miss anything... I don't have any cause for concern at the moment.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I should let him come to you. Sit on the floor, read a book and generally ignore him. Perhaps have a few herbs just casually about your person :D. See what he does. May not be immediate but he will probably become inquisitive to see who you are and what you have. Don't make a move to stroke him initially.

I had a rabbit who had been kept in a very small cage. She had a cage in my kitchen and it was open 24/7, but would she come out? After 2/3 weeks I gently lifted her out and helped her explore the rest of my house and she never looked back.

I would go gently. Who told you to pick him up at least once a day? If you felt his stomach, how would you know he had any problems by doing that? I should leave him be for a while to get his feet under the table.

Thanks for the response mightymax! We adopted him through a nearby pet shop (they have a small area for rehoming pets), so it was the pet shop assistant who told us this, although he was possibly giving us advice for new/baby rabbits.

I'll just keep doing what we're doing and wait for break-through. Have picked a few leaves of fresh parsley and basil and moved the armchair next to his cage.

I built him a little cardboard ramp to help him out the cage, but if he isn't coming out after a few more weeks, I'll try your method of lifting out.

Thanks for the response mightymax! We adopted him through a nearby pet shop (they have a small area for rehoming pets), so it was the pet shop assistant who told us this, although he was possibly giving us advice for new/baby rabbits.

I'll just keep doing what we're doing and wait for break-through. Have picked a few leaves of fresh parsley and basil and moved the armchair next to his cage.

I built him a little cardboard ramp to help him out the cage, but if he isn't coming out after a few more weeks, I'll try your method of lifting out.

Awww sounds like you're doing great with him :) A bit of compassion, patience and understanding goes a long way.

I adopted a rabbit from the Mayhew Animal Home in North London. When I got him they apologised for him being so timid, it was because he had been bullied in the past. But I was certain I had got the right bunny for my Maisie.

Sammy came to me around Christmas time, and within two hours of being in my kitchen, he had scaled the worktop, stolen one mince pie and was back for a second. Maisie was well pleased :D

There's no telling what these bunnies will do given half a chance, is there? :lol:

Just realised tomorrow marks 3 weeks since we brought Billy home! Starting to worry we give off bad human-vibes, as he's still hiding from us, and still hasn't left his cage.

Back