• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Temperamental rescue bunny, tips?

Skippydip

New Kit
Me and my fiance have just got a female rescue bunny that is about 3 years old and she is very temperamental! She just hides in a corner all day and if anyone touches/goes near her, she bites and scratches. :(
It's nearly impossible to put her back in her cage or pet her.
According to the girl who rescued her and looked after her she is very shy but loves being stroked and petted, it just doesn't seem like that to us.
She has been spayed and has a huge indoor cage with lots of toys and treats. Any advice or tips would be so helpful! We really just want her to feel safe and loved after having such a bad life :(

Thanks for your time :)

Hi there! I'm new to bunny ownership too, so not an expert! It sounds like she's still quite frightened of you and perceives you to be a threat. Our bunny is still really quite frightened of us after 2 weeks, so we're having to learn a lot of patience. We sit next to his cage, hold food out for him and let him come to us. We're working on the basis that if we feed him treats by hand, he will come to associate us with good things, and will stop feeling scared of us... I think you should try this too.

Me and my fiance have just got a female rescue bunny that is about 3 years old and she is very temperamental! She just hides in a corner all day and if anyone touches/goes near her, she bites and scratches. :(
It's nearly impossible to put her back in her cage or pet her.
According to the girl who rescued her and looked after her she is very shy but loves being stroked and petted, it just doesn't seem like that to us.
She has been spayed and has a huge indoor cage with lots of toys and treats. Any advice or tips would be so helpful! We really just want her to feel safe and loved after having such a bad life :(

Thanks for your time :)

The way she behaves could well be a result of what happened in her previous home. You will just have to get to know her, on her own terms, and accept her for who she is.

You can perhaps have a treat tin (or food tin) and rattle it when it's time for her to return to her cage. Make sure she is hungry and she should learn to associate that rattle with food and pop back home.

Try not to struggle with her to get her back. I know it's difficult, but it does require a degree of patience!

Hello *waves*

Is she spayed? Our Poppet behaved this way before her spay - there was s time when I was afraid of her... She is now the loveliest, cuddliest bun - but it took time to get there...

Back