• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would they prefer to be outdoors?

Casco

Mama Doe
We have 2 male rabbits approx 5-6 months old who are indoor bunnies but I'm starting to wonder if they'd prefer to be outside. They don't seem to like humans much :lol: I know most rabbits don't like to be picked up but these 2 run away if you even move whether you were heading in their direction or not! We wanted them indoors so that we could spend more time with them, and we do try to interact with them but they're not for having it. They are in our living room and we try sitting down and letting them come to us but it doesn't happen much, their pen is open while we are at home so they can come out when they want but they mostly sit in their pen. I thought by now they would be starting to get a bit friendlier towards us but they still seem a bit scared.

Would they be happier if they were outside without the humans around all the time? If they do go outside it won't be until after winter now, so that will mean plenty time to plan new housing for them. The only time they seem to like us is when we are cleaning their litter tray out or giving them food :lol:

I think they possibly would be happier outside if they are not human orientated. Your rabbits sound very normal to me! But, they are only just entering adulthood so they might just come round a little bit.

That's good if it seems normal behaviour, I've read a lot about rabbits being more interactive than ours and also saw a couple at a farm park type place last week which were taken out for a small animal session and quite happily just hopped along the benches they were put on. Ours would have been off in a second! I realise those rabbits will be used to the petting sessions and ours are still quite young. Doesn't help that one of ours likes to nip so even if he does come near you, you are at risk of becoming acquainted with his teeth :(

I've found bribery often works well with rabbits. They're much happier to approach you if you have tasty treats!

My daughter tried this this afternoon, they came and took the food from her then ran away back to their run to eat it :lol:perseverence required I think!

Yes, it can take a long time for bunnies to trust big scary humans!

Taking food from someone requires a lot of courage, so it's great that they are brave enough to do that. Maybe tiny pieces of food so they come to you more often? As they get comfortable they'll stick around longer. :)

I have a pair of young bunnies about 3 months older than yours, and they behave in a similar way. They will become less skittish after their spay/neuter, and quite possibly over time (I have two 5-year old buns who both demand snuggles as soon as we are in the room - but it wasn't always this way). One of the two younger ones (the smaller one) detests being picked up and will only allow nose rubs if he's in a space that he seems as "safe" (where I can't easily pick him up).

I've noticed that my buns are more skittish around (visiting) children - I think it's because kids are louder and less predictable in their movements, which could mean "more scary".

I can't advise on the nipping as we've been lucky enough to not have a problem with this. I image I'd put a finger on the nose of the nipper, press his/her head down to the door and say a firm "no".

Good luck!

They definitely aren't so keen on my kids if they are being noisy, the boys are very gentle and quiet when they are talking to the rabbits but they do tend to forget to do this when they are not so focused on the rabbits!

I do have to pick up one of them to groom daily (angora cross) - I have tried doing this on the floor but he makes a dash for freedom very quickly whereas if I do it on top of the crate on a pet bed he sits better. Unfortunately he's the one that nips but he's getting a bit better, mainly nips now when he's had enough of the grooming although also does it at random other times too. He was actually quite sweet tonight when I was trimming his fur, sat relatively well (food bribery was involved though!) so hopefully more time is all he needs to trust us a bit more. The other one has always been a lot more skittish but hopefully time and patience will help.

Fingers crossed they settle into being indoor buns, we can see so many small behaviours and much cuteness that we wouldn't notice so much if they were outside.

A good place, I find, is to put them on a blanket/towel on the ironing board. (Don't leave alone, as a jumper may well take his/her chance!). My ones will start digging at the towel when it's town to get down. 😃

An ironing board is a good idea, it can be awkward if I need my daughter to help with the grooming when I'm standing at the dog crate we would have much easier access at an ironing board. Thanks :D

I built up my bond with Doughnut by lying on the floor and having a treat for them. Rabbits are generally nosy so will come over the investigate and if you give them a treat they are more like to come over. If I give Doughnut a bit of fenugeek crunchie since it's her favourite she will run off to eat it in case I'm taking it away, for a bit of muesli she will sit next to me so I can stroke her and give her nose rubs or kiss the top of her head. She hates being picked up and if I've had to pick her up she will be distant for a few weeks.

She is happy to jump on my lap for a treat so I can then have a stroke but once the treats have gone so is she but she does follow me around everywhere. If you build up good experiences with your rabbits they are more likely to keep coming over hoping for something!

Good luck.

Back